Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
I suspect you're right. I missed that at first reading and didn't want anyone to think it was trailer loading instructions. My apologies to JPaul for my error. Dave

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
This is backwards. Always load ANY trailer heavier toward the front. Doing it backward guarantees instability and greatly increases your chance of accident. This advice is in every U-Haul trailer. (actually recommends 60%/ 40% distribution) Dave
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough: the smart weight distribution is 45/55 fore aft.

Me sorry scdaf, just notice your last post. That's what I meant. But it is my fault for not being clear enough to start with.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough: the smart weight distribution is 45/55 fore aft.

Me sorry scdaf, just notice your last post. That's what I meant. But it is my fault for not being clear enough to start with.
Now that you guys got it squared away.... again, my Uhaul dealer told me that since the smart is so small, putting the car in backwards (engine toward the front of the trailer) wasn't necessary. Uhaul is only concerned about having too much weight behind the trailer axles.

My Dad's guy ended up canceling on him (boy was Dad pissed), so I ended up getting a ride over to Indy to pick up my car.

I CAN say that the tires on my passion are much narrower than I thought, and since the car is 61 wide and the ramps are 42 inches at the narrowest point, the car will fit on the transport rails quite nicely. I didn't get a chance to see if I needed shims or extra ramps due to the low ground clearance of the smart. Too bad.

But it was much nicer going to pic up my smart in an S class Mercedes. In fact when we rolled up, my Dad and his car got more attention than I did! ;)

If any of you need to use the auto transport, just keep in mind that you might need some 2x8x1.5 foot boards to put under the wheels at the front/ratchet end of the trailer. Also, you could need to put some boards under the trailer ramps as you start to drive up onto the trailer. Uhaul spells it out pretty well in a PDF file on their reservation website.

·
Banned
5,087 Posts
hey "docthrock".....glad to see you finally got your Passion! i'm soooooo jealous! :D if you get a chance, post some pics of it if you haven't already.

i plan on doing a 'drive by' today while out running my Saturday errands. did they have many cars yesterday? i know it kind of goes in spurts.....one weekend they'll have 10-12 cars sitting around and the next, 4-5. i always like to see the color combinations so that will help me make up my mind whenever i'm asked to configure.

anyway, enjoy your smart.....should have some nice driving weather today and part of tomorrow......:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've heard about the Uhaul option and I know others have used them without issue, but I'd be a little reluctant if it's not being done by a professional. Especially considering it's coming from the dealer--seems like they should be able to work out some sort of delivery for you. If you need an established company that operates throughout the US, you might try a1autotransport.com. They're one I have used before, had no issues with, and would use again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Smartcar Fits on U-Haul Auto Transport

The Smart car fits perfectly with lots of room to spare (width)! Pictures attached.
This was done in Georgia June 2019 heading to DC.

·
Registered
146 Posts
U-haul doesn't like it, but I've successfully hauled small cars inside their moving trucks. One way rental was cheap.

Ramps to get it in, loading dock got it out last time.

S u b R o s a

·
Super Moderator
11,208 Posts
I used a U-haul trailer with my smart. Only problem I had was a chip in the windshield when I was done. I went with renting a truck and trailer as I didn't trust towing behind my Land Rover because of the rust issue on a 25 year old truck. They gave me a pickup truck instead of a box truck, which worked out much better (and less expensive)

I did have problems with the tire straps as my smart had a broken front right spring and was sitting on top of the tire. he front end was right on the front of the trailer so a few boards to raise it up would have been a good idea.
Towed down the road like a dream with no problems!

·
I'll figger this car out
133 Posts
Thanks for the info!

I own my own trailer which used to haul smaller race cars, is made to haul up to 8000 pounds. Haul surface 15 feet with D-rings strategically placed up front and in rear.

I have alloy rims on my 451 and when I towed it, I ran the long straps through the spaces in the alloy wheels. One long ratchet strap up front, another in back. Plus a small safety chain under the center.

Absolutely no problems.

I would have to think for a moment if the car had the older solid wheels, would probably use two-wheel car dolly straps which are made to surround the tire. That's what I used in hauling my 1950 Kaizer Manhattan Traveler 5 door hatchback to my workshop.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts