Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Had mine installed yesterday - pics later today.

On "how low is it?" - the answer is LOW - it's the lowest part of the car. However, it is near the rear axle, so I expect that speed bumps won't be an issue.

On the low side view - it does not extend past the rear valance, which I like.

Now on to find a bike rack that comes up a bit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
There is a 6" ground clearance.

I used a hitch ball mount with a 6" drop. reversed it for a 6" rise so have 12" combined from ground to ball mount.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Smart Car Universe Hitch Installed

I just installed my Smart Car Universe trailer hitch and it looks awesome. It took some work but the 13 page instruction manual was very clear and no matter how you look at it, you have to take off the rear plastic panels to get at the frame underneath which was really quite easy. I had a hard time deciding between the new UHAUL hitch because it was so much cheaper, but after I did some research on the Smart Car Universe Hitch, I knew decided it was better money spent. It is so well made, and powder coated and I like the placement better. The UHaul hitch is too low for most trailers and bike racks. The installation of the Uhaul hitch required drilling, and modifications, and the SCU hitch bolted on like factory with no drilling at all. I have a 450 model which came with a nice aluminum valance that looks great. The package also came with all stainless steel bolts, lock tite, and a complete wiring package with self power and 20 amp out to trailer with circuit protection. Pig tail kits don't work on the Smart due to the sensitive electronics.
I have purchased a storage extension from SCU, wheels, interior mods, and more than I can list here and they have been really good to deal with. The hitch is substantially more, but it's a way easier install and better fit. I believe in some cases you get what you pay for. I'm going to try to put some pics up somewhere.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I just installed my Smart Car Universe trailer hitch and it looks awesome. It took some work but the 13 page instruction manual was very clear and no matter how you look at it, you have to take off the rear plastic panels to get at the frame underneath which was really quite easy. I had a hard time deciding between the new UHAUL hitch because it was so much cheaper, but after I did some research on the Smart Car Universe Hitch, I knew decided it was better money spent. It is so well made, and powder coated and I like the placement better. The UHaul hitch is too low for most trailers and bike racks. The installation of the Uhaul hitch required drilling, and modifications, and the SCU hitch bolted on like factory with no drilling at all. I have a 450 model which came with a nice aluminum valance that looks great. The package also came with all stainless steel bolts, lock tite, and a complete wiring package with self power and 20 amp out to trailer with circuit protection. Pig tail kits don't work on the Smart due to the sensitive electronics.
I have purchased a storage extension from SCU, wheels, interior mods, and more than I can list here and they have been really good to deal with. The hitch is substantially more, but it's a way easier install and better fit. I believe in some cases you get what you pay for. I'm going to try to put some pics up somewhere.

The U-Haul hitch is not for the 450, but it is a no-drill application requiring only a little grinding to enlarge existing holes. It is also powder-coated.

What it is... is a heck of a buy. But not for 450 owners.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Seems odd that you are from Calgary and SCU is based out of Calgary?

1. The UHAUL hitch is for the 451.
  2. The height of the hitch is meaningless, easily increased with an adaptor.
  3. UHAUL is $189.95 + ~$50 for wiring and is readily available locally in both US and Canada; SCU is coming from Canada and is $580 + shipping + must install yourself or pay more $ than the UHAUL.
  4. The SCU is overpriced and based upon a more captive marketplace (as the hitches for the 450 have been).
JMO, I have always thought that the 450 hitches would have sold much better at under $400, which is a much more reasonable price.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sounds a bit biased. Have you even looked at the U-haul piece?

The hitch was easy to install. No disassembly of the skirt,etc..required. a ONE page install instruction. Drill one hole. Enlarge both to fit the carraige bolt and backing plate. Took maybe 20 minutes total with the car on the ground.

The hitch is WAY overbuilt nicely made and finished with what I assume is powdercoating. A seeming bargain for $189, free shipping, and it showed up in 4 days.

It does sit low and I would think it would hit the curb before the tires if I back in perp.

I used a 5" lift draw bar to get the ball high enough.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Oh, and the wiring I used was from Northern Tool. Universal self powered adapter so it doesn't feedback to those sensitive electronics. The unit is made by Hoppy Mfg. You dont need the brake light input as our cars have the turn and brake integrated. You just clip the red wire and use only the turn and tail inputs.

I would not suggest that you load the OEM circuits with just pigtails.

Cost $49+tax

·
Registered
105 Posts
Extra benefit is it looks like it will protect any slightly longer aftermarket oil filters. :)
Just wondering how this hitch will protect a long filter? Looks to me like the filter will be struck first and then the hitch by anything high enough to do the damage, unless, you are in reverse.
Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
SCU Hitch installed

I got my SCU trailer hitch installed and it is sweet. Install took about two and a half hours. The hitch bolted on like factory and I didn't have to drill any holes. I got it for $499.00 including wiring kit. I liked the stainless steel fittings kit and it came with a bottle of lock tite. Wiring was a bit of work, but with the modulator and 20 amps out my trailer lights are super bright.
I have two mountain bikes and the higher hitch height is optimal for my sport rack bike rack.
I bought the wheels and the storage extension from Les at SCU. Super nice to deal with. I'd recommend these guys for sure.

·
Super Moderator
29,203 Posts
Just wondering how this hitch will protect a long filter? Looks to me like the filter will be struck first and then the hitch by anything high enough to do the damage, unless, you are in reverse.
Dan
See posts #13 and #14. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
The box measures 41" x 20" x 10" and weighs (according to Fedex) 23 lbs.

This item is not high-tech. Simple welded fabrication & powder coated. Must be 100s of places in the UK that could copy it. Just get one sample and go from there.

Rick
Assuming those measurements are exact, then the total girth is 101"...below the 104" limitations. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I got my SCU trailer hitch installed and it is sweet. Install took about two and a half hours. The hitch bolted on like factory and I didn't have to drill any holes. I got it for $499.00 including wiring kit. I liked the stainless steel fittings kit and it came with a bottle of lock tite. Wiring was a bit of work, but with the modulator and 20 amps out my trailer lights are super bright.
I have two mountain bikes and the higher hitch height is optimal for my sport rack bike rack.
I bought the wheels and the storage extension from Les at SCU. Super nice to deal with. I'd recommend these guys for sure.
Do you have or know of a picture of that hitch without the receiver installed? I find the ones here to be very difficult to make a decision to spend the extra dollars for a design preference. I think I favor this design, yet I agree with everyone the price is far more expensive that even with my preference I think I would strongly consider the Curt. Without better pictures, it's hard for me to tell which decision I would do. If it looked more factory/flush/custom then I might be careless with my money and go with it. The pictures here need higher resolution options at better angles without the receiver attached. Smart Car Parts and Accessories » Smart Car Universe .com

As for those looking for the Curt Manufacturing model. It's $189 on uhaul, however you can find it for under $150 if you search by Curt 11018. etrailer has it for $149.95 (yet with a catch that you have to spend $150 for free shipping...so buy a mount or ball or something.) I bought a Curt for one of my vehicles at redtrailers.com which has it for $133 plus shipping. They had the lowest price for my a different vehicle recently. I got the item the next day via UPS ground which was under $20 for me so the shipping was excellent.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts