Smart Car of America Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Assuming those measurements are exact, then the total girth is 101"...below the 104" limitations. :)

Looks like 82" X 40" = 122" to me, NOT under the 108" limit :sorrysign:

* The girth is defined as the measurement around the thickest part (Perpendicular to the length):wink:

:smartje.rd.zw:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Looks like 82" X 40" = 122" to me, NOT under the 108" limit :sorrysign:

* The girth is defined as the measurement around the thickest part (Perpendicular to the length):wink:

:smartje.rd.zw:
Sigh, it wouldn't surprise me if they changed the rules as even the postal clerks have to reference the 2000+/- page book of international shipping rules only to find out their computer tells them differently which is completely opposite to the information found on usps.gov.

I've shipped a lot medical equipment to Europe over the past four years which was all oversized and needed custom packaging to fit just below the limit, unless the rules have changed in the past year then USPS defined it as:

Length plus Girth
The length is defined as the longest side of the package
The girth is defined as the measurement around the thickest part (Perpendicular to the length)

·
Registered
21 Posts
grayhound does oversize packages. :)
But the cost of building a bridge or digging a tunnel may be prohibitive... Evilution lives in England, hence the shipping issue.

Good luck on getting one, hope someone helps you out! I would, but it would be more expensive from Canada.

·
Super Moderator
29,214 Posts
Sigh, it wouldn't surprise me if they changed the rules as even the postal clerks have to reference the 2000+/- page book of international shipping rules only to find out their computer tells them differently which is completely opposite to the information found on usps.gov.

I've shipped a lot medical equipment to Europe over the past four years which was all oversized and needed custom packaging to fit just below the limit, unless the rules have changed in the past year then USPS defined it as:

Length plus Girth
The length is defined as the longest side of the package
The girth is defined as the measurement around the thickest part (Perpendicular to the length)
How did we get from: "The box measures 41" x 20" x 10" and weighs (according to Fedex) 23 lbs." to "Looks like 82" X 40" = 122" to me, NOT under the 108" limit"?

If the box is 41 in long and 20 in wide then length plus girth = 41+20+10+20+10, or 101 inches. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
How did we get from: "The box measures 41" x 20" x 10" and weighs (according to Fedex) 23 lbs." to "Looks like 82" X 40" = 122" to me, NOT under the 108" limit"?

If the box is 41 in long and 20 in wide then length plus girth = 41+20+10+20+10, or 101 inches. :)
I'll agree with beating that a dead horse...it is 101.

Priority to england is $100 two to three weeks (aka 6 to 10 business days)
Express is $20 bucks more (half the time as above)
Guaranteed express is $307 (1 to 3 days...most large packages get held by customs and since usps uses fedex for guaranteed all kinds of custom issues are more pronounced...usps fedex and customs play the blame game...three is a crowd...I primarily shipped guaranteed...you get fast service if it doesn't get stop at customs then you can wait a month for the trio to have their little sign off meeting. )

It's a $180 item so go with express. You'll get far better tracking and phone support services than priority...worth the extra money. If it were a delicate or expensive item then hands down guaranteed (aka fedex) but save youself a lot of bs and pay a few bucks more to ship directly with fedex.

I'm so glad I'm not shipping international anymore.

Those are prices from usps.gov which likely will be different at a postal store. The ones here frequently have an hour in line wait and shipping online with usps is equally a nightmare. UPS in the northeast is too militant...too many occassions that i treated as if i were bin laden, so I got tired of the package inspections and ID and overall rudeness...they are ideal in other parts of the country plus their prices have soared for domestic along with usps.

Ideally fedex has the most competitive and best service for packages with the exception of international and media and very lightweight items. The tradeoff is you may end up with a headache for weeks to months or it'll ship like expected. Heavy oversize packages tend to fit into the headache section.

So this explains why one u.s. Curt retailer quoted you $500 to ship to England. The headache involved makes many U.S. Companies to not want to ship low profit items internationally. At least I know of many who simply won't do it because of the frequency of headaches involved. Europeans don't understand as it seems they have easier experiences.

USPS = endless international paperwork, inexpensive, confusion and minimal tracking. I love fedex and going back on that usps.gov site has me rambling.

·
Registered
69 Posts
ideally if you could find someone in the U.S. To carefully put three or four hitches in one box...up to the usps weight limits then it would be more cost effective. Frequently hitch boxes are far larger than the contents as a one box fits all hitch. The box likely weighs 5 to 8 pounds. I know my Curt box was the same size for a class IV hitch and it was mostly empty space inside. That's if you wanted to be frugile. Redtrailers do sell curt hitches in bulk, u likely could buy them at 125 delivered and $40 each shipped...then the person in Europe could put them up on eBay for double that and it's be likely less expensive than an American ebayer could ship you one individually due to shipping rates.

Could be wrong but it's a thought.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts