Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course Uhaul as a company swears up and down that no hitches will fit on a Brabus. Even though I've seen Uhaul installed hitches on them.

They refused to do an install for me today, as did a local auto shop here in my little hick town. Finally was able to find someone willing to do it with a Curt hitch. Farm And Fleet will do it, but of course they have to order the hitch and aren't sure what they can come up with for wiring. But at least someone finally stepped up to the plate and is willing to do the install. I'd do it myself but I just don't have all the necessary tools on hand to make it happen.

Yay specialty cars! Lol

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hitch is like 155 or 160. Install is 70. I really can't complain about the price. But I'm not getting myself too excited until I pick the thing back up after the install next week. lol

·
Registered
465 Posts
Trust me Uhaul is doing you a favor. Just ask my bud who had the whole side taken out of his truck by a Uhaul trailer that came unhitched and tried to pass his truck on the interstate. The morons never closed the hitch after setting it on his ball.

I don't have much faith in them myself.

Remember the Smart does NOT have a US tow rating. So many places are just covering their behinds. There is a lawyer peeking around very corner in this country.

You can take care of the wiring yourself with less than $20 investment.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Trust me Uhaul is doing you a favor. Just ask my bud who had the whole side taken out of his truck by a Uhaul trailer that came unhitched and tried to pass his truck on the interstate. The morons never closed the hitch after setting it on his ball.

Remember the Smart does NOT have a US tow rating. So many places are just covering their behinds. There is a lawyer peeking around very corner in this country.

I think the most frustrating thing is just some guy that couldn't pronounce Brabus suddenly becoming an expert on one. I guess I was just not educated enough on who else did the installs.

I'm actually much happier to be going with the place I have lined up. They do outstanding work and have reasonable pricing.

As far as the wiring is concerned... Yeah I may be searching for a DIY on that in a week or so. I'm not too concerned about that part. I just don't have a lift or the crap to be drilling through metal at my disposal. And frame alterations are a step above my confidence level with my current tools and skillset. LOL

·
17,349 Posts
Ha, I bet they took a gander at the muffler and decided they didn't want to go through the process!

Funny part, our discovery that the mufflers for the stock exhaust and the Brabus are the same size. So there really isn't anything that should stop them from being able to follow through with the install.

·
Registered
274 Posts

The kicker of that is, if you're not going to install it then take the flipping thing off of your website. They actively sell hitches for the smart and offer installation.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ha, I bet they took a gander at the muffler and decided they didn't want to go through the process!

Funny part, our discovery that the mufflers for the stock exhaust and the Brabus are the same size. So there really isn't anything that should stop them from being able to follow through with the install.
You'd think that would have been it, huh? You'd be wrong. Didn't even bother to step out of the AC to go look at it. Became an expert on the spot, even when I assured him it WOULD fit. lol

Yeah I don't really think the muffler size is the issue. I think people are squeamish about running the ball set up right in front of the exhaust. lol.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The kicker of that is, if you're not going to install it then take the flipping thing off of your website. They actively sell hitches for the smart and offer installation.
They do, but they actively tell you on the website that it will work for everything but a Brabus.

·
17,349 Posts
You'd think that would have been it, huh? You'd be wrong. Didn't even bother to step out of the AC to go look at it. Became an expert on the spot, even when I assured him it WOULD fit. lol

Yeah I don't really think the muffler size is the issue. I think people are squeamish about running the ball set up right in front of the exhaust. lol.
I bet it's not even that. I bet the guy was like "I've installed a hitch on a smart before and hell no, not doing that again!" :D

They do, but they actively tell you on the website that it will work for everything but a Brabus.
In the US, a Brabus is mostly just a passion with a lot of extras, even the VIN will come up as "Smart Pure/Passion".

I would've been like "Oh, but it's not a Brabus, it's just a passion with some Brabus parts." >:D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok... that's weird considering it's the same muffler with the outlet just in another place. :shrug:
Exactly. Neon and I took a hard look at the different exhausts. Clearance shouldn't be an issue when looking at the Brabus muffler as oposed to the run of the mill smart muffler.

My biggest beef about all of this other than the attitude was simply: It's been done. Why is it still not an option in their minds if it has been done successfully at their shops across the country? :shrug:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In the US, a Brabus is mostly just a passion with a lot of extras, even the VIN will come up as "Smart Pure/Passion".

I would've been like "Oh, but it's not a Brabus, it's just a passion with some Brabus parts." >:D[/QUOTE]

Which would be fine until they see the Brabus badging, etc. LOL

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,970 Posts
Me too. If this hitch install pans out I'll be shouting it from the mountain tops that the "no hitch on a brabus" myth is dead. LOL
I know of at least one Brabus with a hitch and I'm pretty sure there are several more driving around with hitches installed.

The one I'm talking about has a curt hitch. .

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went and paid for the hitch and installation... minus the wiring, which I will probably have to do... today. They placed the order for the hitch. Was told I'd get a call in 3 to 7 days when that comes in. So hopefully this thing will be on by the end of next week.

I told him I didn't care if they had to modify the hitch or how they mount it, just don't mess with the car itself. lol

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
The only reason not to install a Curt hitch on a Brabus, is that the hitch or bike rack will become heated from the hot exhaust blowing on it. I'm sure on a long trip, the hitch or bike rack will become VERY HOT. I've considered adding extensions mounted to the bike rack that channel the exhaust away from the rack without actually touching the original Brabus exhaust. We will see how that turns out.

AND yes mine is a Brabus and has a curt hitch on it. I used the JKJA HOBBS method of installation without grinding a big hole in the frame, but sliding the inner bumper to the side and fishing thru the end of the frame. To me, it is the ideal way to do it, once you know it can be done that way. It is actually the easier way.
Thanks Jill, for the knowledge. :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
BB, it may be the easier way for you, but when I had the car up on jack
stands and was faced with the two possible ways of doing it, I decided to
go with grinding out the holes, because I haven't dealt with removing or
loosening any of the panels (except the service flap, which doesn't really
count!). Yes, it took a lot longer than I'd have liked, and would have been
much neater if all I'd done was drill the single hole, but I didn't have to
figure out how to get the panels off, or worry about breaking clips without
having spares on hand, or figure out how to put it all back together. Using
the drill and grind method, at any point before the bolts and spacers went
into the frame rails, I had the option to say, "Forget it, I'll fight this battle
another day" and just put everything away, leaving the job unfinished and
still having my car ready to drive to work on Monday. To me, it's more of
a comfort level thing - I've drilled and enlarged holes before, but I haven't
messed with the body panels, so the approach I was most sure of was the
way I did it.
-Bob

1 - 20 of 75 Posts