Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting a smart ED, but am undecided. My commute is 54 miles roundtrip.

I've been reading the forum off and on for a few years. Always wanted a smart ever since they were introduced in the late 90s (I'm originally from Germany). And the electric version really intrigues me, not the least because I wouldn't have to worry about ICE maintenance.

But I've read reports of range here on the forum, where 60 miles is easily doable, 70 miles already tricky to get and 80 almost impossible. What if I need to take a detour to run some errands on the way home?

My commute is via urban and suburban roads: a good number of stop lights, a couple of school zones, 45-mile speed-limit roads almost all the way.

Incidentally, the office building right next to my work has four public level 2 charging stations, but they cost $1 an hour. Nice to have in an emergency. My employer is thinking about installing charge stations, but it wouldn't be for at least another year.

I plan on leasing for three years with the battery lease as well. Don't want to install a level 2 charger at home, mostly because I rent and don't want to install a permanent fixture.

I live in Florida and I'm not sure exactly what impact the summer heat has on range. I'd be using the AC almost throughout the whole year, the heater for anywhere between one and four weeks for the occasional cold spell in winter. It rarely gets below freezing. How challenging will it be to make it to work and home (54 miles) with a single charge under these conditions? Also, am I shooting myself in the foot with relying on level 1 charging at home? I think 12 hours is not quite enough to fully charge an almost fully depleted battery, right? There are quite a few public level 2 charging stations close to my home, though. I've asked my employer if I could plug into an outlet in their parking garage during work hours. They haven't gotten back to me yet.

So, as I said, I'm undecided. What do you think?

Can someone tell me what maintenance schedule does a smart ED have in the first three years of its life? What maintenance expenses am I to expect?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hi Schorschi!

I don't think range is the main concern for you, it's the Level 1 EVSE!
My commute is 57 miles round trip, in Boston. Only time I wouldn't be able to make it without charging at work is a handful of days in winter with really extreme cold and/or snowfall. (plowing through snow uses a lot of energy!). Not your problem! For rare cases you can use the expensive charge stations next door.

On a warm day, range is 80 - 100 miles, depending on speed and driving style. Not 60-80. The 45 speed limit is your friend, you'll easily get over 90 miles that way! The AC will reduce this a little, but it uses much less power than the heater. So unless you spend hours in stop-and-go in the sun with the AC going, you should be fine.

Using the level1 EVSE that came with the car will be tricky for your commute. You're right, 12 h will be barely enough to charge what you need to commute, not enough to add extra trips or detours. You should look into getting a level 2. Clipper Creeks start at ~$500 and are not hard to install, but it will depend on your landlord if he allows it.

To be sure about the whole thing, do what I did: ask the salesperson to let you borrow a car for a couple days, so you can drive the round-trip commute one day and see how much charge is left!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Oh, and a friendly welcome from another German!

·
Super Moderator
1,251 Posts
I'm on the fence too. I would have had one a month ago if the dealer was within a single charge for me. However, my closest dealer is about 180 miles away, so that's either a tow job or a two day trip minimum. That also presents a big problem for any service and/or warranty work as well as the turn in after three years.

Len

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
Just a question - do your respective dealers have EVs in stock? If not, what are they giving you for wait times for a new order? The reason I'm asking is the Midwest dealers have essentially been cut off - all the EVs are going to California and the other 7 states using CA emission standards. Inquiring minds, etc...

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
In April I saw an ED sort of stowed away at smart center Tampa, hadn't been used for a while, was returned by someone living on Clearwater Beach... Maybe you can borrow it if it's still there?
Ask Casey, he may help...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a question - do your respective dealers have EVs in stock? If not, what are they giving you for wait times for a new order? The reason I'm asking is the Midwest dealers have essentially been cut off - all the EVs are going to California and the other 7 states using CA emission standards. Inquiring minds, etc...
Haven't heard back from the Tampa dealer yet. I know about the shortage. He was trying to see if he could get his hands on a California vehicle, if I remember correctly. So, I realize I may not get one at this time.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Haven't heard back from the Tampa dealer yet. I know about the shortage. He was trying to see if he could get his hands on a California vehicle, if I remember correctly. So, I realize I may not get one at this time.

I noticed a couple of new ones in inventory in North Carolina.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The TurboCord requires no installation at all! You can plug the lightweight cord into ANY existing 220V outlet, and carry it with you wherever you might need to go.

TurboCord - Portable Plug-in EV Charger (120 or 240 Volt Plug for Charging Electric Cars) by AeroVironment

If I get the EV, I'm going to buy one of them.
I looked at that. Actually mailed the manufacturer a couple of questions, but haven't heard back from them yet.

Problem is, I have a different NEMA outlet. 10-30, I think. The TurboCord's plug is a 6-40 or something, plug-incompatible. I asked them if it's possible to get an adapter. Also, I wanted to know if it's possible to operate the TurboCord via an extension cord.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
^ You might peruse Amazon reviews to see if anyone else may have already dealt with those issues/questions. Please report back what you find!

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
So obviously the one I saw then is gone. Sorry.

In April I saw an ED sort of stowed away at smart center Tampa, hadn't been used for a while, was returned by someone living on Clearwater Beach... Maybe you can borrow it if it's still there?
Ask Casey, he may help...

·
Super Moderator
1,251 Posts
The Cary, NC dealer had three in stock six weeks ago, all in the white with electric green tridion, They are down to two right now. For an order they are saying about six months.

Len

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Just a question - do your respective dealers have EVs in stock?
Existing ED inventory and selection outside the original 8 states is very thin with no new 2014's in the pipeline unless customer/dealer ordered.

Anything ordered today will obviously be a 2015 and as mentioned, about 6 months out . . .

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting a smart ED, but am undecided. My commute is 54 miles roundtrip.

I've been reading the forum off and on for a few years. Always wanted a smart ever since they were introduced in the late 90s (I'm originally from Germany). And the electric version really intrigues me, not the least because I wouldn't have to worry about ICE maintenance.

But I've read reports of range here on the forum, where 60 miles is easily doable, 70 miles already tricky to get and 80 almost impossible. What if I need to take a detour to run some errands on the way home?

My commute is via urban and suburban roads: a good number of stop lights, a couple of school zones, 45-mile speed-limit roads almost all the way.

Incidentally, the office building right next to my work has four public level 2 charging stations, but they cost $1 an hour. Nice to have in an emergency. My employer is thinking about installing charge stations, but it wouldn't be for at least another year.

I plan on leasing for three years with the battery lease as well. Don't want to install a level 2 charger at home, mostly because I rent and don't want to install a permanent fixture.

I live in Florida and I'm not sure exactly what impact the summer heat has on range. I'd be using the AC almost throughout the whole year, the heater for anywhere between one and four weeks for the occasional cold spell in winter. It rarely gets below freezing. How challenging will it be to make it to work and home (54 miles) with a single charge under these conditions? Also, am I shooting myself in the foot with relying on level 1 charging at home? I think 12 hours is not quite enough to fully charge an almost fully depleted battery, right? There are quite a few public level 2 charging stations close to my home, though. I've asked my employer if I could plug into an outlet in their parking garage during work hours. They haven't gotten back to me yet.

So, as I said, I'm undecided. What do you think?

Can someone tell me what maintenance schedule does a smart ED have in the first three years of its life? What maintenance expenses am I to expect?
Honestly (and this may ruffle some feathers) you may be better with a gas engine smart . There would be no worries about getting stuck without a charge on the batteries IF you do any errands and run into detours as you say. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have a different NEMA outlet. 10-30, I think. The TurboCord's plug is a 6-40 or something, plug-incompatible.
It's easy to make adapters, if you know what you're doing. Same for extensions, given the proper gauge cable. But if you don't, the web might help:

All Products : EVSE Upgrade, Low-Cost EV Charging Solutions
Main business is upgrading level 1 EVSEs to level 2 (those that can be), but he also sells plug adapters and may be able to make a special one for you.

And more to the point: EVSEadapters.com: Electric vehicle adapter cables

·
Registered
511 Posts
The Turbo cord sounds like a great solution. I'm currently savin nickels an dimes for an electric to go with one of my smarts. I'm retired now and it soooo...makes sense.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Honestly (and this may ruffle some feathers) you may be better with a gas engine smart . There would be no worries about getting stuck without a charge on the batteries IF you do any errands and run into detours as you say. Just my opinion.
No worries, it certainly crossed my mind that the range of the Smart ED is within the OP's 60 mile commute, but only just.

The current crop of <100 mile city range affordable electric cars are super, as they are suitable for the vast majority of commutes.

And surely, with work recharging (120V outlet), it's no issue.

While alternatives like the Chevy Volt are obviously suitable as well, they aren't pure electrics...

If you already have a second gas powered car like me, then there will be no range anxiety, as you could swap cars if you need to drive longer distances.

Looking forward to 200 mile EV's where the 80% of commutes changes to practically 99% of commutes covered by the electric range.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Existing ED inventory and selection outside the original 8 states is very thin with no new 2014's in the pipeline unless customer/dealer ordered.

Anything ordered today will obviously be a 2015 and as mentioned, about 6 months out . . .
So, the dealer told me today that they can't get their hands on any ED's in Florida. Something about a freeze on transfers between dealers. Odd.

Said, they might get one in October.

Heck, they don't even have one to test drive. Very odd.

Maybe it's a sign that this is not yet my time.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts