Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 ED. I realize rust isn't much of an issue with the plastic body panels and such but what is the general thought on undercoating? I live in southern Ohio in the USA so we spend several months out of the year with a lot of salt on our roads. Just curious what the thought is on the need for undercoating on an ED.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I have a 2013 ED. I realize rust isn't much of an issue with the plastic body panels and such but what is the general thought on undercoating? I live in southern Ohio in the USA so we spend several months out of the year with a lot of salt on our roads. Just curious what the thought is on the need for undercoating on an ED.
One hardly hears about aftermarket undercoating anymore - a lot of those undercoating services and dealer-added options in the old days were ineffective at best if not scams. Any rust preventative measures on cars nowadays are done as part of the cars overall design and assembly at the factory. The days of cars rusting through at quarter-panels and floor in high road-salt areas after just 5-6 years is pretty much a thing of the past. I bought a somewhat abused Subaru Outback a few years ago - now 11 years old and used entirely in W. Pennsylvania and the W. Virginia highlands. It does not have a bit of rust anywhere.

So, if you just occasionally rinse the underside and suspension parts of the car when an above-freezing spell presents itself, you will be fine. I avoid running any car through a car wash unless the temperature is going to stay above freezing for some hours after the wash. BTW- the Smart ED goes through a car wash just fine - but unscrew and remove the radio antenna before going through.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I was in Cleveland for a year and my wife was there for two. I purchased almost all the different things that they sold aound there. Still have the AC and DC pulse modules that somehow are supposed to protect against rust in the two vehicles that were there.

Cap Final Coat. Ziebart. Total Systems Technology (tst5k.com), and "Rusterminator and paint protection". When I took the car that had the TST Silent Rider to Ziebart, the lady commented that the car already had good underbody protection, so I assume that one is good. (That said I did need to replace the muffler section of the exhaust on that car.)

Do your research and make a selection if you find one you like. If you have questions I can find my receipts and answer questions about warranty qualifications and stuff...

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Hi Chris. I have never personally looked over an ED but I presume they are the same as the Gas engine versions except for engine, transmission and you having a battery underneath. The underbelly is all plastic. I has mine out from under the car when I dropped the engine down to remove the head. Everything in your case would be the battery like the other op's said is plastic coated. The tridion cell is powder coated and that coating is almost "epoxy hard". There's not much on the master cylinder under there to corrode or rust. The brake line to the rear might end up rusting, but that's about it. My gas version has three coolant lines running front to back, but they are above the floor in the "hump". I have A/C lines running from compressor to front, but I insulated them as best I could with regular foam pipe insulation. The front suspension could definetly rust/corrode as well as the rear suspension. So washing out both ends of the car might be in order. All the fenderwells are plastic. We can rejoice that we will never see a Fortwo on the junkyard or sombodies back yard rusting away, just fading plastic if you have one of the Fortwo's with molded color panels.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Hi Chris. I have never personally looked over an ED but I presume they are the same as the Gas engine versions except for engine, transmission and you having a battery underneath. The underbelly is all plastic. I has mine out from under the car when I dropped the engine down to remove the head. Everything in your case would be the battery like the other op's said is plastic coated. The tridion cell is powder coated and that coating is almost "epoxy hard". There's not much on the master cylinder under there to corrode or rust. The brake line to the rear might end up rusting, but that's about it. My gas version has three coolant lines running front to back, but they are above the floor in the "hump". I have A/C lines running from compressor to front, but I insulated them as best I could with regular foam pipe insulation. The front suspension could definetly rust/corrode as well as the rear suspension. So washing out both ends of the car might be in order. All the fenderwells are plastic. We can rejoice that we will never see a Fortwo on the junkyard or sombodies back yard rusting away, just fading plastic if you have one of the Fortwo's with molded color panels.
Just about the powder coated tridion. I'm not 100% sure, but later model years may not have been powder coated. (I got sand/dirt between my floor liners and tridion and sanded them accidentally, with unpleasant results.)

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
I understand how bare spots on the tridion can be. But from what I've read here and there they are in fact powder coated and even though the surface might wear off there's still powder coat down in the pores of the metal that are baked in there. So I guess you have to do a special primer to get paint to succefully adhere to it ?? No knowledge here, just blind hearsay. DCO

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
I was so hoping that my 2011 was powder coated just for the durability of it. I really wish my tridion was silver instead of black. Like I told in another post some time back, I was several years deciding to buy a Fortwo after seeing my first 08 one. This is the picture I had on my desktop for a long long time, so everytime I fired up the laptop I saw this picture.

So I really had my heart set on a Red/silver tridion just like the picture. But it's okay. Now I look at this desktop picture.

And this picture is a little closer to home, just underneath me in the garage.

I notice that my weather strip along the tridion where my feet drag in and out of the car is beginning to wear through, so I guess before long I'll be looking for weatherstripping and glue to replace that. DCO

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I was so hoping that my 2011 was powder coated just for the durability of it. I really wish my tridion was silver instead of black. Like I told in another post some time back, I was several years deciding to buy a Fortwo after seeing my first 08 one. This is the picture I had on my desktop for a long long time, so everytime I fired up the laptop I saw this picture.

So I really had my heart set on a Red/silver tridion just like the picture. But it's okay. Now I look at this desktop picture.

And this picture is a little closer to home, just underneath me in the garage.

I notice that my weather strip along the tridion where my feet drag in and out of the car is beginning to wear through, so I guess before long I'll be looking for weatherstripping and glue to replace that. DCO
Your car is so beautiful and shiny. Mine needs a good washing!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts