Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else need a light to see the cup holders and all? Wondering if anyone has installed an under dash light, and if so, what did you use? Also wondering how to wire it so it works with the vehicle light switch (not manual).

·
For sale pm for details
2,033 Posts
you can do the lights we did in the back you could put these under the dash and wire them to the inside courtesy bulb

·
Registered
65 Posts
I went to Autozone and picked up two 12" red neon tubes and installed them under my dash. They work great and provide a nice red glow to the foot areas and lower dash. They plug into the 12v plug, but I took it a step further and hard wired them into the fuse panel and installed a switch on my center console. If you are handy with tools should take you about an hour.

Total cost was about $40

·
Registered
65 Posts
The choices I had that day were red, blue or green. Green was out, thought about blue, but figured red looked best against a black interior and blue could make you look ill when driving around.

·
Registered
9,072 Posts
..OK...we got pics ...you get kudos...

...very nice way around an all too common problem (not enough lighting)..
...like I said before...there's more than 1 way to skin a cat...

jetfuel

·
Registered
2017 Passion Coupe
3,552 Posts
Very nice smart-er. I'm going to go with warm white.
Trouble with warm white at night is night vision. If you look down at your white coffee cup lid then look back at the road, there's a big spot where you just can't see as well. The red and amber colors don't interfere with your night-vision in the same way, allowing spot-free night driving with those darned white coffee cups.

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
For aesthetic reasons, I would want the blue. But, y'all are talking about the light creating problems with your night vision. Regardless of the color, I wouldn't want anything that bright. Just enough to make out shapes. As it is, it is pitch black in the footwell, can't see a thing. And, I'd like it on whenever the headlights are on. Not confident about tying into fuse box though. I'm a wuss, I guess.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just installed a couple of under dash lights. They are not tied to the Smarts wiring system, but they do come on and go off with the opening and closing of the door. The cost was about $30, but I could have done it for less than $20 if I hadn't been making it up as I went along. I have a long tutorial on how to do this with a lot of pictures. I would be happy to e-mail it to you if you pm me with an email adddress. I haven't figured out how to post pictures on this site, nor do I have authorization to post a tutorial.
Pete

1 - 20 of 23 Posts