Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I think it's been shown that the SOC meter is fairly linear across its range, with possibly a little extra capacity at the extreme top (90-100%) and bottom (0-10%) of the range. In comfortable temperatures and in city driving with no real effort to maximize range, there are examples of getting more than 1 mile per 1% SOC despite some higher speeds, A/C usage, and stop-and-go driving. At a steady slower speed, with no braking/regen losses, no use of A/C or brake lights, I could easily imagine 160 miles of range. You also get the benefit of higher battery energy output due to the slow discharge rate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,516 Posts
Well I started out with a full charge this morning, drove 5 miles and I'm still at 100%. Looks like I may never have to charge again - infinite range!! :)

Len
2014 EV Coupe 11,800 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 750 miles

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,722 Posts
At a steady slower speed, with no braking/regen losses, no use of A/C or brake lights, I could easily imagine 160 miles of range.
Not throwing water on your "extreme optimism" but no Guinness Records are given for imagining or extrapolating . . .

When you are sitting at the side of the road with ED's HV battery exhausted, your "water bottle" full and a call in for roadside service - take a picture of your results.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
If there were money to be made, I'd give the 160 mile range a shot. But alas, there isn't. I'm still entirely comfortable believing it can be done based on that slow driving.

I've been reading a bit on Formula E, and the battery discharge rates they achieve are pretty spectacular. The original spec called for a 28 kwh battery but a maximum output of 200 kw. That's like a discharge rate of over 7C. I thought that anything over about 5C was damaging to the battery but that 4-5C was okay for short bursts. Our 451ED limits normal current to just 2C and gives us two minutes of discharge at 3.15C. Wouldn't it be nice to bump that up a bit and give us 4C for a minute? That'd be around or just above 90 HP, which would pretty entertaining but not damaging to the battery pack nor probably the wiring.

·
Registered
2014 Cabriolet bought in Sept 2016 with 6,470 mi
47 Posts
I have a 2014 Cabriolet with 9,418 miles on it that I got in September of last year and have kept track of every trip and every charge since.

I've put 2,900 miles on it myself so far (it had 6,470 when it arrived).

I have routinely gotten over 100 miles per charge since late spring with a maximum of 120 this past charge.

I take mostly short trips (my commute is less than an 8 mile round trip), don't go on highways with it (anything over 50 causes the range to drop), and try to keep power usage to 25% or less (slow, steady acceleration).

My colder weather experience (I live in the Chicago area) is that the car will not charge up as much - it will take in over 20KwH as opposed to 16Kwh in winter and the mi/KwH is up to 6 in summer and as low as 4 in winter.

I keep the tire pressure at around 44 in the back and 40 in the front (the opposite of my 2000 Honda Insight which even with a barely functional battery pack I am getting 70mpg on). If this car had low rolling resistance tires like my Insight has, I think I could easily get another 10-20 miles of range.

I don't use the air conditioning (it's a convertible), I do put the top all the way down, and I do not drive more than 30mph with the windows open - drag is far worse than using the air conditioning (from my experience with the Insight). I drive like I am not in a hurry, try to look ahead and know how all the lights on roads I frequent behave so that I don't waste energy racing to the next red light and I spend a lot of time coasting in neutral before using drive to recapture some of the energy coming to a red light or stoplight.

Unfortunately, I don't always succeed at guessing how long the light will stay green. The worst range killer for me is getting caught by stop lights on 40-45 mph roads - a couple of those on a trip really lowers the mi/KwH.

I really enjoy driving the car. I don't get range anxiety and am willing to go down to 0% on the charge meter. I have not as of yet found where it completely runs out of power and I do not plan on finding out - though circumstances beyond my control may cause me to find out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My SOC gauge drops quickly from 100 to 90, then pretty linear from 80 to 20. I don't drive real conservative because it's summer in Wash DC and AC is a must.

·
Super Moderator
1,516 Posts
I have a 2014 Cabriolet with 9,418 miles on it that I got in September of last year and have kept track of every trip and every charge since.

I've put 2,900 miles on it myself so far (it had 6,470 when it arrived).

I have routinely gotten over 100 miles per charge since late spring with a maximum of 120 this past charge.
More information please.

Have you ever actually gone 100 miles on a single charge or are you estimating that's what you would get, i.e. well I've gone 50 miles and I still show I have 50% left? When your gauge resets with a full charge, what does it show as your projected range?

Len
2014 EV Cabriolet 800 miles

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
We did a lot of running around this past weekend, all local roads and without trying excessively hard to maximize efficiency. We ended up driving 87 miles on one charge with 8% SOC left. This included at least 20 miles with both my wife and I in the car, combined weight of 330 pounds or so, plus numerous stops and starts, and probably about a half an hour or so total A/C usage. I don't think we were ever on a road with a speed limit of more than 40 MPH, many times the roads were 30 or 35 MPH speed limits. We were most careful after we got under 20%.

It's sitting there charging now using the supplied equipment, but even though I've set it to max current, it's only going about 8 or 9 amps so we're getting about 5% per hour. It won't be anywhere near full before I have to commute in it tomorrow, but we should be able to get it fully charged up Tuesday night into Wednesday morning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
More information please.

Have you ever actually gone 100 miles on a single charge or are you estimating that's what you would get, i.e. well I've gone 50 miles and I still show I have 50% left? When your gauge resets with a full charge, what does it show as your projected range?

Len
2014 EV Cabriolet 800 miles
The 120 was actual miles driven on a single charge, not estimated. I have gone at least 100 miles on the last 7 charges.
The most I've ever had estimated at 10% (after which the estimate turns to Low Battery) is around 123 total.

If you want the details, I've kept a spreadsheet of all the trips since I got the car.

·
Super Moderator
1,516 Posts
If that spreadsheet shows driving style, I'd love to see that. You are one of maybe two owners out of the hundreds here that get that kind of range. Your cluster is set to "miles" and not "kilometers," right? :)

Len
2014 EV Coupe 11,850 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 850 miles

·
Registered
663 Posts
We find the SOC pretty accurate. We do a lot of urbany driving at 60 to 90 kilometres per hour. 130 km is a realistic number for us with a little reserve. We are happy with that. In our leaf in the same condiotions we are good for 200. But since the leaf is not a convertible we lose some to AC.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If that spreadsheet shows driving style, I'd love to see that. You are one of maybe two owners out of the hundreds here that get that kind of range. Your cluster is set to "miles" and not "kilometers," right? :)

Len
My spreadsheet doesn't show driving style, just basic statistics. My driving style is fairly simple - never drive like I'm in a hurry, try to keep the power usage at no more than 25%, try to use the brakes/regenerative braking as little as possible - coast to stop signs & stop lights, look ahead & know the light systems on the roads I travel. I see it as a game - see how much I can get out of each charge and I have a short commute (less than 8 miles round trip) which allows me to push the envelope a little more.

I live in the West suburbs of Chicago, it's set to miles :)

The car can teach you how to drive more efficiently, but most people just don't want to change their driving style. I have the advantage of having driven a 2000 Honda Insight hybrid for 14 years and 170K miles with a lifetime mpg of 64.6 (according to the car). It took a while, but I learned to not be in as much of a hurry, pay attention to what is ahead, and coast whenever you can (with low rolling resistance tires it can go a lot further than the Smart does).

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have the advantage of having driven a 2000 Honda Insight hybrid for 14 years and 170K miles with a lifetime mpg of 64.6
Welcome to the club of Insightful smart ED drivers!

I thought the Insight and ED were great partners: ED for zero emissions driving around town, and the Insight when I needed the range. 700-800 miles a tank was hard to beat! It was a sad day when I had to let it go.

My driving style changed when I got the ED, though. Somehow, getting the most out of every drop of fuel seemed less important and I use the fun pedal a lot more vigorously. Maybe that's because it doesn't use any dino juice, and a few more Wh of wind power seem worth it to me.

·
Super Moderator
1,516 Posts
My spreadsheet doesn't show driving style, just basic statistics. My driving style is fairly simple - never drive like I'm in a hurry, try to keep the power usage at no more than 25%, try to use the brakes/regenerative braking as little as possible - coast to stop signs & stop lights, look ahead & know the light systems on the roads I travel. I see it as a game - see how much I can get out of each charge and I have a short commute (less than 8 miles round trip) which allows me to push the envelope a little more.

I live in the West suburbs of Chicago, it's set to miles :)

The car can teach you how to drive more efficiently, but most people just don't want to change their driving style. I have the advantage of having driven a 2000 Honda Insight hybrid for 14 years and 170K miles with a lifetime mpg of 64.6 (according to the car). It took a while, but I learned to not be in as much of a hurry, pay attention to what is ahead, and coast whenever you can (with low rolling resistance tires it can go a lot further than the Smart does).
I do much of what you do. I like to play the game too. Best I can squeeze out of mine is 90 miles every once in awhile. So what does your cluster indicate your range is after a full charge? Does it ever show a 100 range to start?

Len

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I do much of what you do. I like to play the game too. Best I can squeeze out of mine is 90 miles every once in awhile. So what does your cluster indicate your range is after a full charge? Does it ever show a 100 range to start?
I believe our range predictor resolutely shows 68 miles with every charge, whether we charge it full after driving 15 miles and 70% SOC (which happens when you're going 75-80 MPH) or after driving 90 miles with 15% SOC (which also happens). I know there's a way to reset the history used in the calculation but I don't remember how to do that off-hand, and both my wife and I have come to just about completely ignore the range indicator since depending on the driving environment, we can either get about 50 miles or apparently about 110 miles, and often switch between the two on one charge.

·
Super Moderator
1,516 Posts
My range predictor on both of my cars shows a range pretty much based on what my max range on the last charge would have been. Nowadays in the summer it usually resets to the low 80's. In the winter it is usually low 70's. I have done nothing to the settings to allow my cars to do that.

Len

·
Registered
47 Posts

Len
Mine almost always shows 90 miles of range after I recharge it. In the winter it sometimes shows less, but it never has shown more.

This summer it has generally sat at 90 for just under the first 10 miles. The overall range tends to grow slowly

41 - 60 of 84 Posts