Smart Car of America Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,516 Posts
Before, during or after charging makes no difference on either of mine.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 11,850 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 850 miles

·
Registered
2014 Cabriolet bought in Sept 2016 with 6,470 mi
47 Posts
Hmmm... I've seen mine change after clearing the trip sometimes, though not lately. I always clear it after charging.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
68 is what the car is rated for.

Do you clear the trip(s) before or after you charge the car?

I press and hold the left triangular button to reset the trip meter to zero. That's all I ever do. My wife doesn't even do that - she drives by SOC only.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
My wife doesn't even do that - she drives by SOC only.
Same thing with me - I try to get my wife to reset the trip odo at every full charge and use that and the SOC meter instead of the unreliable "range left" indicator, but she won't do it. Don't want to sound sexist or anything, but we are thinking about buying a Chevy Volt and I am concerned that the various driving modes one can select for it will be too complicated for her.

And yet, I am the one who refuses to learn how to use her smartphone...

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Same thing with me - I try to get my wife to reset the trip odo at every full charge and use that and the SOC meter instead of the unreliable "range left" indicator, but she won't do it. Don't want to sound sexist or anything, but we are thinking about buying a Chevy Volt and I am concerned that the various driving modes one can select for it will be too complicated for her.

And yet, I am the one who refuses to learn how to use her smartphone...
Ideally as EV cars get to have about the same range as a gasoline car, the SOC will be interpreted exactly as the gas gauge is. It seems, just like a gas vehicle, that there's some range below empty, and just about every drive has a sense of how far they can go on how much fuel the gas gauge says is remaining.

I need to scour the manual for the procedure to reset the "remaining range" gauge. I think all it does is clear the driving history. I'm sure ours is **very** confused. Many days, I'm driving it to the park-n-ride where I'm sitting on the speed limiter for nearly ten miles, and then other times my wife is driving it in all-city driving and getting about twice the miles per kw/h.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I need to scour the manual for the procedure to reset the "remaining range" gauge.
Let me help: rotate the menu selector on the wiper stalk until the "RESET" trip odometer shows in the gauge cluster, then push and hold the trip reset button until it's zeroed out.
This clears that trip odometer, and also the driving history affecting the remaining range guess-o-meter.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Thanks! As soon as I can wrestle the smart away from the missus, I'll go do that. But because this has never been reset since we got the Smart new, won't this also erase the total time it has been driven? That was a number that both my wife and I were interested in - more to see how much of our lives we spend in a car than anything else.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
But because this has never been reset since we got the Smart new, won't this also erase the total time it has been driven? That was a number that both my wife and I were interested in - more to see how much of our lives we spend in a car than anything else.
Yes, it will reset all the data on the "RESET" screen. You might have to keep an old-fashioned paper log. The same data since the last "start" is on the "START" screen.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Yinzer, in that case it might not be worth it to us - we really are curious to see how much time we will spend in this car. It is interesting since we got our ED with 10 miles on it at the beginning of June, and now we're at about 1600 miles. Seems like it's not so many miles that it shouldn't change at least a bit from averaging in the previous charge. Thinking about it, though, it seems like one charge my wife will get about 1 MPH per 1% SOC, and then the next I'm mostly commuting at full speed..

·
Registered
47 Posts
I managed to get 124 miles on a single charge (9 separate trips over 11 days) this past week on my 2014 cabriolet which is a new record for me by quite a bit (121.4 was the previous high). Had 1% on the dash SOC and 2 of 3 power bars so there were still more miles to be had if necessary.

Unfortunately forgot to get the Real SOC numbers before I put it on the charger. The car said I had gotten 6.6 mi/kwh. Charging it back up to 99.1 Real SOC (100 on the SOC) took 19.77 kwh of electricity which is an actual mi/kwh of 6.3 and at $2.27/gal (the current low in my vicinity here in the west suburbs of Chicago) my mpge was 151. As always for me the car still showed 90 for the estimated range afterward (it has never shown more than that).

The car has just under 17k miles on it (10k+ of it are mine, I got the car in Sept of 2016) and the original tires still which is why I am able to keep getting more range even as the battery pack ages. Unless I am able to find low rolling resistance tires when I do have to put new ones on, my range will go down due to the stickiness of new tires.

·
Super Moderator
1,516 Posts
Okay, please tell us more. I am obsessive about trying to squeeze out as many miles out of a charge as I can and the best I could ever get was 90 miles and that's nursing it along at 40 mph or less in hot weather, coasting to a stop, etc. So tell us about your nine trips. Had to be no faster than 25 mph or so, all city driving and you are sure no one snuck up on your car and charged it while you weren't looking? :)

Len
2014 Coupe 20,500 miles
2014 Cabriolet 19,000 miles

·
Registered
47 Posts
Len,

I am the only one here, so no one else to charge the car {smile}

Started at 16817

Date Where To avg max ODO Trip To Avg mi/ SOC Batt Notes
speed speed Empty Temp kwh Bars
07/12 Friends 35 45 16849 32.2 85 75 6.7 78 7 Longest trip, also highest speed
07/13 Work 30 35 16857 39.7 75 80 6.4 71 6 Standard work RT some 20-25
07/15 LA Fitness 35 40 16872 55.3 65 86 6.4 59 5 Workout trip
07/16 Work 30 35 16880 62.8 56 80 6.3 51 5
07/16 LA Fitness 35 40 16897 80.3 43 89 6.7 38 3 Also went shopping
07/18 LA Fitness 35 40 16912 95.2 30 78 6.5 22 2
07/20 Work 30 35 16920 102.9 23 84 6.5 19 2
07/21 Work 30 35 16928 110.8 17 80 6.7 11 1
07/22 Work 28 35 16941 124.0 LB 79 6.7 1 0 + residential street trip to park at 25

·
Registered
47 Posts
Forgot to hit preview - It took out all the spacing so not very readable any more. Copy and paste into reply box to see it formatted properly.
Otherwise, columns are Date, Where To, avg speed, max speed, ODO, Trip, To Empty, Avg Temp, mi/kwh, SOC, Batt Bars, Notes

·
Super Moderator
1,516 Posts
Okay, thanks. Your average speeds of 35 mph and under explains it I guess.

Len
2014 Coupe 20,500 miles

·
Registered
47 Posts
Lower speeds help as does not accelerating too quickly, looking ahead to avoid racing to red lights, coasting to stop signs/stop lights. I still have plenty of fun taking turns at higher speeds and using the car's incredible quickness, but overall not acting like I am in a hurry and trying not to waste energy has gotten me the results. I expect i am also benefiting from less traffic due to COVID as well.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Explain, please, how coasting to stop signs and lights, gives a better mileage than using regen? Have you tried this both ways and found a vast difference?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Explain, please, how coasting to stop signs and lights, gives a better mileage than using regen? Have you tried this both ways and found a vast difference?
Anytime you use regen when approaching a light or stop sign (as compared to coasting) that represents excess chemical energy that you took out of the battery a little bit ago, put into kinetic energy of the car's motion, then took back from kinetic energy and stored back into the battery as chemical energy. Each of those conversions involves a loss (2nd law of thermodynamics).

The key advantage in coasting isn't so much the coasting, it's that you didn't take as much out of the battery in the half-mile leading up to the coasting only to try to put it back near the light/stop.

I have tried this extensively (albeit in my LEAF) and coasting seems to be a detectable winner over going faster and using regen to slow. (Vast? No. Detectable? Yes.) It seems to hold in the smart as well, though I've got 10x as many LEAF miles as smart miles.

·
Super Moderator
1,516 Posts
Also the coasting in a Smart is amazing to me how long it holds speed and what little resistance there is. Depending on traffic, I coast not only when coming up to a red light (the farther I see it ahead the better), but also going down a hill. In either case the regen braking action slows down the car too much and will likely call for you to give it some juice. But no matter how hard I try, I can rarely get my range above 85 miles or so.

Len
2014 Coupe 20,500 miles

61 - 80 of 84 Posts