Smart Car of America Forum banner

81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
What I like about my Chevy Volt is anytime you take your foot off the accelerator regen happens. I always gain 4-6 miles when I leave home and drive downhill towards the vegas strip, even if all the lights are green and I never touch the brakes.

·
Registered
2014 Cabriolet bought in Sept 2016 with 6,470 mi
47 Posts
I've found there is a lot of resistance in coasting with the Smart as opposed to my 2000 Honda Insight, but it is still far better than using the regen. The Smart is always "in gear" - that is the reduction gear is always engaged and I can feel the drag of it while coasting. My Insight is manual and has low rolling resistance tires so it can coast for far longer out of gear and gains more speed on a downhill than the Smart. For example there is one small hill near me that I drive down fairly often (the west suburbs of Chicago are very flat). In the Insight or my father's 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid I can take the car out of gear around 30 mph before I hit the hill and end up well above 45 at the bottom. On the Smart if I do that I might get to 38, but generally I have to power it to 35 before going downhill to be at 40 (the speed limit) at the bottom and I have to reengage the power far earlier to maintain speed.

At best you get 80% of the energy back which is better than nothing but may or may not be worth it. I've considered trying no regen (just the brakes), but haven't as of yet.

Len, I don't know why you can't push your range up higher. You do have two of them so does one get better range than the other? If your area is hilly, that would definitely make it more difficult. Do you keep an eye on your tire pressure? Lower pressure will also reduce your range. I keep mine around 44 in the back and 40 up front.

·
Super Moderator
1,516 Posts
As I mentioned above, I'm amazed at how long the Smarts maintain their speed when I pop it into neutral. Of course I don't have another car to compare it to. I have very few long or steep hills, but when I do coast down a hill, it keeps up the speed very well and I can do a long coast to a red light too without cars behind me telling me they aren't happy. :)

I typically drive the cabriolet and routinely get at least 10 more miles per charge than the coupe that my wife drives. She doesn't do the coasting and doesn't like when I do. When I do drive the coupe for most of a charge, I can get the range up to very near what the cabriolet does.

Tire pressures - 36 rear and 32 front

Len
2014 Coupe 20,500 miles
2014 Cabriolet 19,000 miles

81 - 84 of 84 Posts