Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
...thanks man...sure is appreciated...haven't been to a car show in a while...I'll miss the 50th anniversary of the Mustang in Charlotte NC this April....I'll be on the road...guess I'll have to get it out of my system with the Amana Ia and the Dragon Run....

Jetfuel....thanks....you lucky bastard....

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Lots of my new Metropolitan pals are down there. Wish I could have made it too. Stretch, thanks for the pictures! Next week my Met is going into a body shop to have some rust taken care of. You'd be surprised how hard it's been to find places to restore cars with rust underneath. Several gave me unbelievably high prices, finally have estimates from two different places, just have to pick which one. If this were back east, I bet this would have been easier.

·
Registered
128 Posts
One of the photos from the show was of a Messerschmitt KR200, or Kabinenroller (Cabin Scooter):

The KR200's Wikipedia page has this fascinating description of the engine and tranny (note the way reverse worked):

The KR200 ran on a 191 cc (11.7 cu in) Fichtel & Sachs air-cooled single cylinder two-stroke engine positioned in front of the rear wheel,[6] just behind the passenger's seat. The engine had two sets of contact breaker points and, to reverse, the engine was stopped and then restarted, going backwards. This was effected by pushing the key further in the ignition switch than normal, whether intentionally or not. One result of this was that the KR200's sequential, positive-stop transmission provided the car with the same four gear ratios available in reverse as in forward movement.
The phrase "whether intentionally or not" conjures up some interesting scenarios, not to mention fourth gear in reverse!

·
Registered
318 Posts
So, stretchmobile, what's your actual name? Do I know you?? I keep reading your posts here and just assumed you didn't live in L. A. and weren't a member of SoCal smarties.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts