Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
There have been probably 100 different startup companies in my lifetime that have created a prototype that looked great and then could never actually go to production. Out of hundreds that have tried, Tesla is the only one that was successful, and they were only successful because they had billions of dollars behind them. Creating a prototype is easy, making to production is not. And if they go to production, how well built could they be? Other than Tesla, the majority of auto builders have 100+ years experience building cars, these guys have zero.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Out of hundreds that have tried, Tesla is the only one that was successful, and they were only successful because they had billions of dollars behind them.

Although I agree with your premise, I wouldn’t call Tesla successful, either, until/unless they’re actually able to make a profit.

And even so – regarding startups – even their failures are important, because they keep the big guys on their toes with their greater risk-taking product. They push competitive boundaries in ways that the established dinosaurs of the industry simply can’t, or wouldn’t without a field of upstarts.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Very true on all accounts. Tesla, even with all that money behind them, is still having a hard time. My boss has a model X and loves it, but It has had many problems. Problems that a $100,000 car shouldn't have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts