Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2009 451 Cabrio top needed adjustment. I was working on the passenger side, and my partner wanted to be helpful so he placed the driver's side rail in place without clicking it locked at all, not even once. I saw it in place up there, and operated the top up into the rear top "up" position. It is now jammed. The passenger side successfully locked, while the guide on the top is exposed under the rail on the Driver's side. The top no longer responds to go back down. Any idea? I can see the tops of the plastic lock-in pins under the elevated rail. I am wondering if I can mechanically disconnect and remove the motor on that side or both sides, and operate the top manually, enough to disengage the jam? Any ideas? My nearest smart center is four hours away. I normally do all of my own service, since the two closest dealers were clueless with other problems. If I had a star machine up and running, would it override the jam and make the top go back down? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have a California Pop Top on it now.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, I got it. Removed the guide pin on the side rail. Also Removed the topmost screw on the pivoting mechanism for the top to give the top some rearward slop. Pushing back on the top allowed it to disengage from the rail so that it could be removed now that the guide pin was unscrewed from the rail. I put the screw back in the pivoting mechanism, depressed the rail sensing pin on the front of the top cassette to rail interface and pressed the down button. Voila! Yayyy. Now it is just a matter of resetting the top cassette to the side-rail specs, and checking that the leak has been corrected by aligning everything. The leak problems I was having were due to debris in the drain channels on the rubber weather stripping and the calibration that meshes the rubber joints together so the drains, now thoroughly cleaned are sealing properly.
The drain channels on the side rails are phenomenal. If your car sits outside under trees as mine does, it is important to remove the cover with the high mount brake light in it. The drains for the channels under the top on each side drain out of the weather stripping rubber seal inside the top's air deflector mine were stopped up with years of muck and acorn debris. It drains much better now. Also the side rails have a well-hidden drain that looks rather small until you spread it apart at the rear of the rail. It is quite large, and is retaining whatever these seeds are that the squirrels are dropping, diverting rain inside down onto the location of the engine control module. Not good.

·
aka 'Red-Devil'
276 Posts
Wow, I'll have to contact you in the Spring when I tear mine apart. Most of parts that run through the rails are broken. I'm hoping to find a wrecked one, with a good top. Well done! If I remember correctly, you raise Alpacas, right?

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I live in a condo. Alpaca's would be difficult. :D I am supervised quite well by a Siamese Cat, Hence the Avatar.
Sounds like you need to replace the sliders. There is a Mercedes training video on Youtube for that.

·
aka 'Red-Devil'
276 Posts
Well that's twice I've relied on my memory since I've been back, failed both times. Think I'd stop, wouldn't you ;-). Thanks for the video.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts