Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke my leg pretty badly a few months ago, and was incapable of driving. During this time my 2015 Smart ForTwo ED was in my parking garage. I can get around easier now and went out to check on it, and it's totally dead. I can unlock the driver's door manually with the key, but the charging port door is still locked. (Can't seem to re-lock the driver's door without power, either.)

It's parked at a charging station, so if I can get the port open I can give it the juice. But looking at some of the other posts here, it sounds like it may have ruined the battery? Is there a way to tell if the battery is done without special equipment?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for not responding earlier, my leg is getting better but I'm still lacking in mobility which has hindered me from doing things myself. I had to wait until a friend could help me. First, we tried just connecting the jumper cables so I could unlock the charge port and plug it in. As expected I guess, nothing happened. The dash didn't light up and the charging station didn't indicate it was transferring power (normally a blue light turns on). So we took the 12v battery out and put it on a charger.

We're going to put it back in tonight and see if it will take a charge, but from what I have read my hopes aren't high. When I got home from the hospital I was in a tremendous amount of pain and on prescription narcotics for a while; tending to my car was the last thing on my mind. So I think it's probably been sitting there too long. I'll post again tonight or tomorrow with the results.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Doesn't look good.

According to the battery charger, the 12v is fully charged. We reinstalled it and connected the main charger. The dash lights came on as usual, but it just said "Malfunction" above the charge meter, and the charging station light didn't turn on to indicate it was doing something. I waited several minutes with it plugged in, unplugged and tried again, same results.

Is that it then? I've seen 12k and 20k floated around as the price of a new battery, but I only paid ~6.5k for the car so I just can't see that being worth it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts