Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Historic Hoover Dam Run,SinCitySmarts

SinCitySmarts is planning a historic run across trhe Hoover Dam. Now as ordinary as this may sound trust me it's not. The Hoover Dam is planning to open the new By-pass bridge in November of this year. In doing that all car traffic across the Dam will cease only open for foot traffic. SinCitySmarts needs you help.

We are going to put a helicopter and a camera man over the Dam, at the same time we drive across for what will be a great photo that can never be done again. This will be as great of a photo as the one taken in San Francisco on Lombard St. But I need your help. After doing the math, to pull this off we need a minium of 35 cars and in this case more is better. SinCitySmarts has about 25 cars so I'm reaching out to California, Utah, and Arizona for help.The Date is October 23,2010 7:00am at the Hacienda Hotel in Boulder City NV., I know it's alot to ask, for you to drive to Las Vegas just to take a photo, But I need more cars. Please help us pull this off.

This will also be the largest gathering of Smarts ever assemled in Las Vegas. We are still working out some of the details for things to do after we do our drive over, and I will get that out to everyone as soon as I know more.

Trust me, You don't want to miss out on this event...

[email protected]

·
17,358 Posts
Maybe this will generate some positive press for the smart?

I'd do it if I had a smart...:)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Historic Hoover Dam Run:

We want to be in on this event as well. As soon as we know the details, we will make hotel reservations with a plan to arrive on Friday afternoon. Hopefully, a caravan will be organized from the Los Angeles area and everyone will see fit to book in at the same hotel. It would also be nice to make a weekend out of this and hopefully,the SinCitySmarts will have something planned following the photo op.?:smartje.wt.zw::smartje.zw.zw::smartje.bl.zw::smartje.rd.zw::smartje:

·
Registered
791 Posts
I am aware of the Oct 16 Open House, but are you saying you will get a drive across for smarts the following Saturday? If confirmed, we'll do what we can to make it. We'll be looking forward to your plans. As there are 65 parking places on the NV side, it would be great to fill it up with smarts...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm interested but like "Smart Bob" some more details would be great. I'd be coming up from Phoenix and might stay at Laughlin instead of Vegas unless we are all going to meet up a specific hotel.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We want to be in on this event as well. As soon as we know the details, we will make hotel reservations with a plan to arrive on Friday afternoon. Hopefully, a caravan will be organized from the Los Angeles area and everyone will see fit to book in at the same hotel. It would also be nice to make a weekend out of this and hopefully,the SinCitySmarts will have something planned following the photo op.?:smartje.wt.zw::smartje.zw.zw::smartje.bl.zw::smartje.rd.zw::smartje:
I think your thinking we are driving across the bridge, We are driving across Hoover Dam because after they open the bridge the dam will no longer have car traffic so thats what makes this Historic. And to answer your question yes we are planning things to do after the photo we just haven't figured it all out yet, We just wanted to get the date out to everyone as soon as we could so you could start plannig for it.

Thank You For Your Interest
Jimmy
President
SinCitySmarts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm interested but like "Smart Bob" some more details would be great. I'd be coming up from Phoenix and might stay at Laughlin instead of Vegas unless we are all going to meet up a specific hotel.
The day of the event we are going to meet up at the Hacienda Hotel in Boulder City. We will have a quick drivers meeting then take off from there..

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this meeting, actually this whole event HAS to be done in a extremly timely manner. if you snooze you wont be in the pic. period. unfortunately because of the helicopter exspense this is how it has to be. i believe i heard a meet time of 7 am at the hacienda, this will all be verified shortly.
You are 100% correct.. Because of the cost of the helicopter these times will not,can not and won't change. 7:00am we meet at the Hacienda Hotel, we will have a short drivers meeting then head out. We MUST have all the cars through the secruity check piont by 8:30am I will then call the Pilot and he will take off. It only takes him 45 secs to get to the Dam,then he starts to hover. We are working on things to do afterwards so yes it will be a good part of the day hanging out with everyone...

SinCitySmarts
Jimmy

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well, according to Google it's a 561 mile, 9 hour and 42 minute trip...

I could leave Friday at noon :)

awaiting details!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Well, according to Google it's a 561 mile, 9 hour and 42 minute trip...

I could leave Friday at noon :)

awaiting details!
450-ish miles for me... I'll have to check my calendar.

Already did the "Welcome to Las Vegas" sign meetup / caravan set up by smartcenter Las Vegas last year, this might be fun as well.

-Rusty
'09 passion, blue/black, moderate tint.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Count me in Jimmy. This will make my third trip to Vegas in the last few months. The first two were quick turn arounds but this one we plan to spend a few extra days to make a little money. (wishful thinking)

Worker Not RON A classic 450!!!!!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Count me in Jimmy. This will make my third trip to Vegas in the last few months. The first two were quick turn arounds but this one we plan to spend a few extra days to make a little money. (wishful thinking)

Worker Not RON A classic 450!!!!!

Thank you for coming, We are gonna do some great things, I should have it wrapped up by the end of this week

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Update: This is what I have planned so far, Today I spoke with the Hotel
Manager at the Hacienda Hotel, he informed me that if you book a room
online you can get it for $29.00 per night as long as you do it a week before, I will check on a car wash area tomorrow, it should not be a problem.

So at 7am Saturday the 23rd we will meet at the Hacienda Hotel in
Boulder City NV. Please be on time for this. At 7:15 I would like to have a short drivers meeting where we will discuss our approach to the Dam and
how we will turn around and come back once we get to the other side and most important Safety. I also will be speaking with the Dam security to find out how long they think it will take to clear all of the cars, this will determine the time we depart the Hacienda, I will announce this as soon as I find out.
We all have to be cleared by 8:30 (very important) and the timing on this part of the run is very critical.

At this time I will call the pilot to let him know it's time to take off and head for the Dam. When we get to the other side of the Dam we may be able to park for a min for a group photo. After we get turned around we drive back across the Dam and back to the Hacienda. I will pick up the photographer while we all hang a out and celebrate what we just pulled off.

The whole run should take no more than an hour or so. About 9:30 -10:00 we will take a short drive up the hill to Bicentennial Park in the center of Boulder City For a BBQ. The permit for the park is 99% complete we are just waiting for a signature.This will be a free lunch for all, but we will be taking donations. There we will be able to look at the photos taken from the helicopter for the first time.
I will also be talking to vendors and the dealership for prizes and give aways. More To Come As It Comes in...

Jimmy
SinCitySmarts
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Hoover Dam & SinCitySmarts:

Hi Jimmy: It looks like you have things well organized and everyone will appreciate that. I would and I am sure others would like to know the websight for the Hacienda Hotel so we can reserve a room on-line. This has all the earmarks of a really fun and memorable event and we are looking forward to participating.

Smart Bob

1 - 20 of 112 Posts