Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
I installed the front speakers today. took doors off. Scratched up one door a little. May have to order another. There is a screw on the front of the door between the hinges. Not on earlier cars. See picture. It is way easier to remove the door skin if you loosen the front fender by removing the screw at the bottom accessed by opening door. Pull off the triangle in front of mirror and remove that bolt. Remove rubber corner bottom of windshield remove screw under it and two more towards front of car. Pull the bottom of fender out and hold it away from door. I used a 4x4 standing on end. This gives you room to remove door just like 451. I removed the stock speakers, gutted them and used the ring to mount the new Kenwoods. Incidentally the tweeter wiring is behind the pillar trim on the door. If one were to order the trim pieces you could put tweeters in your car. The wires come from the door speaker wires. Each connecter has double wires one pair coming from head unit and another pair going up to pillar. Sorry the pictures are all on their sides. Stupid mac.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
The outside has to come off. That's the side that has the screw heads. There is a moisture shield made of a thin foam you can fold back and assorted braces and power window cables. There is enough room to worm the speaker in and out and all three screws are accessible. I finally got it all sorted out today. I had issues with the rear speakers. I thought the head or amp was not working right because neither rear speaker had sound. After trouble shooting, I pulled one of the rear speakers and used an old speaker I had and it worked. I found out that the positive lead was touching the speaker can. I clearanced them and wrapped with electrical tape. Then spent a lot of time tuning for the best sound. There is an equalizer and 4 way fade in the head unit, the amp for the 4 main speakers has front and rear gain, and low filters. The sub has several gain levels, high cutoffs and a volume pot I put on the center console next to the driver's seat. I am very happy with the sound now. I don't rattle the license plate with bass but like a full spectrum sound system. The built in DVR works well and has good quality video. I put the smart logo on the screen and tomorrow I am going to try the wifi and download some applications. The torquepro app it comes with doesn't recognize my dongle, but the one I paid for on my phone does. I'll try downloading it and installing.

·
Registered
243 Posts
OK SMARTIES! I own a Smart 453 with the JBL Audio - which is pretty darn good - however - I would like to get a bit of ambient sound from the back as well as being presented with all the sound up front. so I'm looking for suggestions.

there are two openings in the rear quarter panels - is that for return air or are their speakers (if there are, I don't seem to hear them)

could I add speakers to these panels

has anybody upgraded their audio for more of a "surround sound"

suggestions?

thanks in advance
-cody
Cleser, can you give me some idea how large the subwoofer is , large as a breadbox???

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Cleser, can you give me some idea how large the subwoofer is , large as a breadbox???
Are you referring to the subwoofer enclosure that sits in the trunk of the Smart? Or the size of the speaker itself in that enclosure. Don't have measurements of the enclosure, personally, but the speaker is just a 6.5" woofer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The base "Passion" door speakers cannot be unscrewed because they are built into the mount. One alternative is to break the old (rather cheap) speakers out of the mount and screw new ones into the old mount (drilling if needed). As stated above, the outer door panels need to be removed to access the speakers and the front fender needs to be loosened to get the door panel off without scratching. On the base "Passion" model, there are no rear speakers in the back panels (nor mounts for them). I assumed the JBL upgrade package includes those rear panel speakers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2016 with the upgraded JBL audio. It has two tweeters, two front door speakers, two rear speakers, a center windshield speaker and a sub woofer in the back for a total of 8 speakers. Fader works for front to back and the sound is amazing...

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I have a 2016 with the upgraded JBL audio. It has two tweeters, two front door speakers, two rear speakers, a center windshield speaker and a sub woofer in the back for a total of 8 speakers. Fader works for front to back and the sound is amazing...
You must have either the factory touchscreen upgraded head unit in your car, or an aftermarket unit, because the base head unit that you can attach the phone mount to has no such fade option. Only adjusting the balance from left to right.

And i'm not sure about the sound quality of that upgraded head unit in the 453, but putting in an aftermarket unit made those rear speakers MUCH more noticeable volume-wise. Could barely even tell they were doing anything with the factory base head unit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Official Door Skin removal procedure!

Finally, for those that have been looking for it, the official procedure for removing the door skins! These are in the order that they were handed to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
I was able to get all the pages in one .pdf file but I'm having trouble figuring out what order to put them in. If you have used these can you recommend what order to follow them in? If so, I can re-order the pages and post the file here for folks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I didn't use them. I took my car to someone to have speakers installed. They screwed around for two hours, damaging the door skin, and gave up. When I went back to give them an estimate for replacing the skin, they showed me the directions that they had obtained from a third party. I asked them if they wanted to try again before I had the Skin replace and they said it was way to involved and declined. I asked for a copy of the directions and the handed it to me and said "Keep it, we're never going to do another Smart anyway."

I posted them in the order that I received them. I have no idea of the correct order of the pages. I'm kind of having second thoughts about replacing the speakers. I have a 453 Passion, and from what I've read, the speakers are permanently fixed, so replacing them could be troublesome. I really enjoy the car, but the stock Passion Stereo really sucks.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Speakers are not fixed. There are 3 phillips screws that are accessed from the door panel side. You have to loosen the front fender to get the door skin off. You can remove the screws and wiggle the speaker out and replace. There are adapter rings you can buy or gut the stock speakers and use them to adapt aftermarket speakers. It's not that hard to remove the door skins. Maybe 20 minutes. I suggest buying a subscription to Evilution, he has tutorials. http://www.evilution.co.uk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did you take a note of the door speakers color wiring at all, when you had access? (the wiring from head unit to door speakers, not the wiring from speaker to tweeter) Thanks.

Door Speaker R+..color?
Door Speaker R-....color?
Door Speaker L+...color?
Door Speaker L-...color?

Are these the same colors back at the head unit?

·
Registered
18 Posts
What size are all the surrounds/mounts for the stock speakers? I would like to swap my head unit and amp and put in some better speakers but want to know what I'm getting into so I can 'one and done' the thing.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Did you take a note of the door speakers color wiring at all, when you had access? (the wiring from head unit to door speakers, not the wiring from speaker to tweeter) Thanks.

Door Speaker R+..color?
Door Speaker R-....color?
Door Speaker L+...color?
Door Speaker L-...color?

Are these the same colors back at the head unit?

There is only one way to hook them up to the factory wires... Small fitting on the small tab & the bigger fitting to the larger tab.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a Kenwood 8" sub-woofer with a built in amp. It fits under either seat... Had the same system in my 451 Brabus
and it rocks! But the 453 EQ is so much quieter the the 451, thinking it might be overkill?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts