Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi: We have a 2019 Smart Fortwo with the passion pkg, sport pkg and 535 Media System. I've added the std tweeter upgrade in the doors to the existing system and it works fine. I don't have the JBL system but would like to add rear speakers and a subwoofer. Does anyone know if this is possible with the existing system? The wiring for the tweeters was already in the doors but I don't believe that's true for either rear speakers or a rear subwoofer. I can't seem to find any helpful info on this possible upgrade. Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey LGT, welcome to the Forum. You're right that it's tough to find info on this but I've embarked on the same mission and here's what I've learned. Bear in mind I have a 2017 ED Passion so it might not be exactly the same as your car.

1) the rear speakers were intended to be part of the JBL upgraded audio system and were "satellite" or "surround" speakers for their special 5.1 system, not "rear" stereo speakers
2) the stock speaker size is 3", which is a weird size that's hard to find in the aftermarket

I pulled off the "B-pillar" panel and learned that...
3) while there are mounting posts for the speakers, there are no brackets
4) wires for the speaker and sub are in place. At least I'm assuming that's what they are based on the connectors. Where those wires go, and to what they connect behind the head unit I haven't investigated yet. I have a feeling in my car they're just dead ends because the basic radio doesn't even have Front-Rear fader controls.

I don't know if the 535 Media System has front & rear outputs but if it does you're golden, you should be able to just pop some speakers in there. Now, how exactly will you do that is another question. Finding 3" speakers, like I said, is a challenge. Crutchfield lists very few, for example. If you go that route you can just order the relevant brackets from a M-B dealer and you're golden.

If your car doesn't have front/rear outputs (like mine) you'll have to wire in an aftermarket amp.

Personally I decided to put in 4" speakers so I could match them with the 6.5" door speakers I replaced. Forum member @Scooba Steve also did this but he used duct tape and I'm going for something a bit more... finished. No offense of course to Steve! (Forum Link) I whipped up a prototype speaker mount and 3D printed it:

It still needs a bit of adjustment but unfortunately it's now -10C outside and working on the car is on hold until spring. I'll definitely share it when it's ready.

As for subwoofers... seems like the most popular route for that is an under-seat box like this one: Kenwood KSC-SW11. Personally I think I'd rather try to implement a DIY version of the JBL removable one, but with a ridiculous 10" box filling the rear cargo area. That's a project for later, though.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: khlam

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't know if the 535 Media System has front & rear outputs but if it does you're golden
Turns the good gentleman at Evilution.co.uk (to which you should subscribe, it's great!) has a copy of the 535 Media System manual... and no, it doesn't have front-rear fader in the Fortwo. This is probably a software thing though because it seems like it has that feature in the ForFour. Hmm I wonder if the system is smart enough to detect the presence/absence of rear speakers...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey LGT, welcome to the Forum. You're right that it's tough to find info on this but I've embarked on the same mission and here's what I've learned. Bear in mind I have a 2017 ED Passion so it might not be exactly the same as your car.

1) the rear speakers were intended to be part of the JBL upgraded audio system and were "satellite" or "surround" speakers for their special 5.1 system, not "rear" stereo speakers
2) the stock speaker size is 3", which is a weird size that's hard to find in the aftermarket

4) wires for the speaker and sub are in place. At least I'm assuming that's what they are based on the connectors. Where those wires go, and to what they connect behind the head unit I haven't investigated yet. I have a feeling in my car they're just dead ends because the basic radio doesn't even have Front-Rear fader controls.

I don't know if the 535 Media System has front & rear outputs but if it does you're golden, you should be able to just pop some speakers in there. Now, how exactly will you do that is another question. Finding 3" speakers, like I said, is a challenge. Crutchfield lists very few, for example. If you go that route you can just order the relevant brackets from a M-B dealer and you're golden.

If your car doesn't have front/rear outputs (like mine) you'll have to wire in an aftermarket amp.

Personally I decided to put in 4" speakers so I could match them with the 6.5" door speakers I replaced. Forum member @Scooba Steve also did this but he used duct tape and I'm going for something a bit more... finished. No offense of course to Steve! (Forum Link) I whipped up a prototype speaker mount and 3D printed it:
View attachment 65138
It still needs a bit of adjustment but unfortunately it's now -10C outside and working on the car is on hold until spring. I'll definitely share it when it's ready.

As for subwoofers... seems like the most popular route for that is an under-seat box like this one: Kenwood KSC-SW11. Personally I think I'd rather try to implement a DIY version of the JBL removable one, but with a ridiculous 10" box filling the rear cargo area. That's a project for later, though.

Hope that helps!

View attachment 65138

Hope that helps!
This helps a lot. Far more information that I'd been able to find. Thanks very much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts