Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today's project on the smart was upgrading the sway bar end links. I've found for almost every car the Moog replacement end links are substantially stronger and stiffer than the OE parts. The Smart was no exception. The Moog part has a much bigger diameter along with greasable pivot points. The OE part had a diameter of 8mm and the Moog part was 13mm. This should reduce the bending of the end links under load and making the front sway bar act as if it is a bit stiffer.

With some online discounts I was able to get them delivered from Advance Auto for $40. Almost any auto parts place including Rock Auto carries them. They are Moog part #K750570

Here they are side by side(they are the same length the moog one just looks shorter in the pic)-

·
Super Moderator
1,649 Posts
My concern would be where was the Moog part made? There have been lots of reports about so many Chinese parts really being substandard. If the Moog part was made in China while the OE part was made in Germany/Europe, I'd probably stay with the OE part, but that's just me. Can you let us know?

Len
2014 EV Coupe 16,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 7,500 miles

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Box says made in Mexico. I've run these on two other cars with no issues. They're currently on my SO's Mazda3. The stock ones broke after we put on a larger rear bar. No problems with these two years on.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No difference in ride quality that I could tell. There's definitely less body roll on hard cornering. I was actually surprised how much difference it made. It's not night and day but enough that it's noticeable.

I'm going to make some delrin bushings for the bar next. Those may increase the NVH. They're easy to make so I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put in the delrin bushings and the results have been great. Much tighter feel to the car and more road feel through the steering wheel. I haven't noticed any increase in NVH with these in which surprised me.

Delrin bushings beside the stock VERY soft rubber-

And Installed-

Very easy install. They only took 20 minutes to put in start to finish.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to be running a batch in the next week or so if you'd like a set out of that. If you want to make your own here's the drawing-

·
Registered
348 Posts
In case anyone is curious, I made some out of delrin and installed on my 451. I ran these for a month on otherwise stock suspension. I didn't notice much difference on long fast corners however during fast driving on small bumps there was definitely some difference. It was obviously a little bit rougher however I felt much more in control. I didn't feel like the car was a plate of Jello any more. They were very easy to make. I turned them in maybe 20 min.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts