Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I test drove an electric model last month and really enjoyed it. My commute is about 30 miles per day. The electric model is very enticing to me.. However, given that it is currently -3 here in Albany I am concerned.

Anyone out there have an Electric Car is a very cold environment? How's the battery life? Do you have heated seats? Hows that working out for you in this kind of weather?

Thanks!
- Alex

·
Registered
521 Posts
Lowest its been here in Cali is the 40's, was getting high 50's to low 60's (miles) per charge with the defroster running/heater on and 1 heated seat on.

I think you should be good.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Been driving my Smart ED all winter here in Toronto.
Temperatures of +10C to -30C over that time period.

All of the below ranges assume driving with a lead foot.
If you are careful, you can far exceed these ranges (by 20km or more).

Range in 10C (or above) is approximately 120km
Range in 0C is approximately 90km.
Range in -10C is around 75km with heat+fan on high (26C) and heated seats on full.
Range in -20C is around 60km with heat+fan on high (26C) and heated seats on full.
Range in -30C is around 50km with heat+fan on high (26C) and heated seats on full.
Below -30C (hit this once this winter), the Smart ED takes a few minutes to pre-heat battery before you can drive away.

Frankly, 30 miles (<60km) is no problem at all. Even in -30C, if you just turn the fan down and drive with heated seats, you will exceed the range I list above.

I have loved every minute of ownership, not leasing, as I am never giving this car up, it's been a dream of mine to drive electric for at least 10 years now, thought I was going to have to build my own...

·
Registered
832 Posts
+1 what SmartElectric said. I got the same numbers (but only down to -17 here).

The only way 30 miles could be a problem is extreme cold combined with a major traffic holdup. Scout out chargers along the way for the eventuality.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Hello all,

I test drove an electric model last month and really enjoyed it. My commute is about 30 miles per day. The electric model is very enticing to me.. However, given that it is currently -3 here in Albany I am concerned.

Anyone out there have an Electric Car is a very cold environment? How's the battery life? Do you have heated seats? Hows that working out for you in this kind of weather?

Thanks!
- Alex
Hey fellow Upstate New Yorker!!! If and when you decide on a Smart, we hope to see you at the 3rd annual Watkins Glen Rally this July!
:)

I've heard a lot of good and surprising things about the Smart ED in severely cold climates. Everything I have heard has been positive. Starts up, runs, and drives just fine.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I understand the use of the heated seats only to save power in the cold, but the defroster is needed in cold temps, doesn't this require the ac also? How does the range fare under these conditions?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Update NY here too, and 30 miles is no problem, even in the coldest weather we've had. That's assuming you mean round trip. If you're commuting 30 miles one-way, you'll need to charge at your work to make it back during the winter. Summers won't have an issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts