Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a for two 2013
First started with the ac, it stopped working after driving it, turning it back on, all that came out was heat.(just recharged the ac earlier in the month)
Then a grinding noise started coming from what seems to be where the belt it but I’m not sure.
And now it’s starting to smoke, filling the inside of the car with smoke, and smells somewhat like burning and a smell I’m unfamiliar with.
any idea on what it could be?

·
Super Moderator
17,938 Posts
Sounds like your compressor seized. Temporary solution is to cut the A/C belt (different than the serpentine belt, so the car will drive fine without it).

·
Registered
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Cabriolet
8 Posts
btw, where is the 451's AC recharge port?
Mine is running but does not 'cool' at all, previous owner said it needs a recharge :(
Also I'm not sure if it has a leak or not !! Any suggestions? TIA

·
Registered
Smart fortwo 451. 2012 petrol
61 Posts
One thing I would suggest is to get a decent length quality hose. When I did mine I purchased a kit consisting of a can of Refrigerant and a short hose with a inline pressure gauge. By the time I managed to get the hose connected I had lost what gas was left in the car! Its like putting the connector on to your tyre when putting air in, if you don't get it straight on it releases the gas. Once I got a decent hose it just clipped straight on and having the extra lengh also made it so much easier.

·
Registered
8 Posts
After a closer inspection, the AC belt in my car is 'missing' !! LoL
I was so surprised and just kept searching for it :LOL:
Now figuring out how to get one and put it on....

@smark, thnks for these pics, or it might have taken me a long time to confirm the missing belt.

Be sure you cut off the correct accessory bellt, to the AC compressor.

View attachment 70969
View attachment 70970

·
Registered
3 Posts
After a closer inspection, the AC belt in my car is 'missing' !! LoL
I was so surprised and just kept searching for it :LOL:
Now figuring out how to get one and put it on....

@smark, thnks for these pics, or it might have taken me a long time to confirm the missing belt.
Ive never used a Pro to fill my air on anything. I never touched a new vehicle I had,,,no reason, but throughout my life, beater pick ups, now 2 mini vans. Even though they dont need it , i Top Them off with a small can. Last year, I bought a '10 Smart Passion. Air worked fine, but, thought I'd Top it off like my other beaters......WRONG ! Just like the guy up above, stinky smoke, noise. Cost me $1200 to learn my lesson. Brought the '15 T&C to a pro last week to charge air......

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did not take it to be serviced, I was trying to figure out if I could find the problem and do a DIY fix.
As of now every shop has a minimum of 3 weeks wait time before I can get appointment :D
I bought the car less than a month ago, and previous owner did say that AC is not working, and it might need a refill......!
So I was starting there, but it will be a good surprise if the system already has coolant in it :)
So I will try to source the AC belt and see how things go.... Thank you all, I really appreciate it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts