Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am surprised that there aren't any specialty companies out there that are announcing aftermarket support for the for two. I would have thought that there would be some popping up at the years SEMA show in November.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I sure hope you are correct! Looking forward to a second set of skins with aero mods, faux intakes, etc. Orange / flamed paint scheme and we're good to go! :D

tm

·
Registered
183 Posts
There are many aftermarket suppliers in Europe and Canada. They don't advertise in the States but they are easy to find on the internet and I have had no problems getting anything that I wanted.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Give it time.....THEY WILL COME!
Yep, this is a tuner world right now. I'm sure there'll be a ton of dealers with mod stuff for us to drool over. Also look for American Smart Enthusiasts Forums like this one with advice, experience and links for goodies.v :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
We're going to branch out into Smart parts. We currently specialize in Subaru parts, but these smarts are just too damn cool to resist. I'll post more details once our vendor agreement is worked out with the folks who run the site.

Sam
turbometrics.com

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
Sam, good to hear your interest in not only the car but the site. Feel free to contact us when ever.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
We will be manufacturing and marketing billet aluminum dress up items right here in America! Interior, Exterior and even some engine goodies. Keep your eye out on this website as we will be supporting venedors here.

·
Super Moderator
28,921 Posts
Where?

SMARTPERFORMANCE, where in central Ohio are you located. With any luck we might have a car for you to play with in a month or so. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I will be traveling soon to Euroupe to import all accessories for our Smart Dealership here at Mercedes Benz of Buckhead. Please check out my intro under south east. Smarts tells us 6-12 months on accessories. There is nothing here state side. We are going to the source.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'd like to see a REAL selection of wheels/tires.
Hopefully, you can get all the stuff that FastEddy has at shop.flyingtiger.ca
(without the shipping!! :D)

Nice to meet you, Kevin!!

·
Registered
591 Posts
I suspect that our friends to the north will have to consider reducing or eliminating their shipping costs so they come across as more competitive especially since there will be a number of future US vendors popping up to offer us goodies at discount prices. The US is going to have the fastest growing market for everything smart. Volume sales speak louder than words (and shipping costs) so it will be wonderful to be courted by as many vendors as possible. My credit card is anxiously waiting to purchae custom rims, wider tires, painting an extra set of panels, black arm rest, cruise control, in-dash GPS with bluetooth and satellite radio, CD Player, slim tire with tote to house behind my passenger seat, lojack, upgraded horn, etc. Can you tell I like to shop?
Thanks, Regina

·
Registered
721 Posts
You forgot:
Both sets of mats, cloth and rubber.
TINT
stubby antenna
chrome grille, maybe chrome package
dash tray rubber inserts
eye-glasses case
underdash lighting (see brabus accessories)
mini air compressor, 12V
ECU remap

:D

Oh...and a backup cam!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I went to the SEMA show in Vegas last year and was Sooooo disappointed not to see very much aftermarket stuff for the smart. Still a bunch of Scions.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Its not surprising when you see the number of Scions out there compared to smarts :)

And when Scions first came out, there were no parts for them either except for factory produced ones. It always takes awhile, usually many months, for aftermarket suppliers to start cranking things out.

People have to realize how much it costs to develop a part. Without guaranteed sales, it can be more risky than dabbling in penny stocks. One small plastic part can cost $30,000 to $100,000 in tooling costs alone. In a market that it is doubtful that you'll ever sell more than 1000 of any one thing, that means a lot of items get priced out of existence before they ever get produced.

Someone mentioned wheels above. This car has a unique bolt pattern and offset distance. No other car in the world is the same. Even the older model available in Canada and Europe for years has a different offset. So it is truly starting from scratch! Wheels are likely to cost $2500 a set to start and it will take a long time before they get more reasonable.

But eventually...

:)

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Cruise451

Has your enterprise thought of any other "projects" for the Smart car or are you a one trick pony?

As long as you are reverse engineering the CAN bus crypto codes you might as well produce an USA Spec "X" gage for the 451...the guy in GB who did it for the 450 had stated he does not intend to do one for the 451....

I would like to see remote start add on also.... Yes with the weird locking anti theft process of the manumatic trany this would be hard to implement but I think the problems can be overcome by forcing no start unless park brake is up and holding (so the car can be left in neutral for remote start)

You could also look into OBDII remapping as an outcropping of decoding the crypto

·
Registered
35 Posts
Remapping is a completely different thing altogether. Our expertise lies in CAN networks and this lends itself nicely to things like cruise controls or onboard computers (like the Xgauge). CAN is more-or-less a communications network. So we're reading the data flowing through the car, ok? Remapping (chip tuning) is changing the values the car uses to control the engine. The fact its administered via the OBD port (which is now CAN as of 2008) is really irrelevant. Its still an entirely different animal and is, at this point in time anyway, outside of our core competencies.

There are certainly other possibilities beyond cruise controls, of course but yes - for the time being we are "a one trick pony" as you put it, in terms of the smart car. I see no reason to shell out cash and spread resources to other avenues when we still have an important task at hand that requires a lot of work.

My projects have always been singular in focus. Get it done, and get it done right. Then move on to the next one.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Cruise451... I hope you did not take offense at the "one trick pony"... in retrospect that was a bad term to use... please accept my apologies

I can respect your single focus project philosophy

Once you get the 451 and do the "what does what" testing would you post either here or on your site the general behavior?

For example all the different "black Boxes" talk back an forth.

I am curious not to know the code, but the exact Cross communication data streams from the ABS, ESP, ECU Trany control etc...

Specifically I want to know where the speed signal comes from and where it is distributed too and if, or if not, it is modified or conditioned

Example...My F350 uses a tone ring on the differential ring gear to send a square wave pulse to the Anti Lock Brake computer...from there it is sent to the ECU/PCM and from ECU/PCM sent to dash cluster where it is modified before driving the Speedometer..... within the trany and on the motor there are several RPM sensors that are all compared back and for the with the raw speed signal...

We know there is 4 tone rings on the axles... BUT I wonder if this signal is only ABS ESP or is that the signal for Speed of the vehicle...

I am not developing any products... I am just one of the geeks that needs to know how things work

·
Super Moderator
28,921 Posts
Fred,

I think the gerbils in the engine bay are using the TCAS* protocol to communicate with the rest of the car. :)

John

*TCAS = Tin Can and String

·
Registered
35 Posts
Fred,
It doesn't quite work like that. I'm afraid John's gerbil theory is closer :) (it actually isn't a bad analogy!)

Most people probably don't care about the technical ins and outs, and I don't think its really fair to take over a thread with that kind of discussion. Keep an eye on our site as there is some technical information there. If you want more detailed specifics on how things work, feel free to post a question there and I'll answer it as best I can without giving away trade secrets.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts