Learned the hard way on household electrical wiring that the screws on the outlets holding down the wires need to be tightened nice and tight otherwise there can be heat/melting!!! Little did I learn from EE/CS..... (Getting shocked 4 or so times last week didn't help either. Surprising how easy it is to shock yourself on A/C 120V.....)Mine started inside the car, apparently there was a bad solder joint in the fuse box. all the lights and electrical components went crazy, smoke came out the dash, I had plastic dripping on my feet before I could stop and bail out.
Special note: a bottle of Mtn Dew does not work as a fire extinguisher. I was lucky that a passer by stopped with a fishing boat in tow and produced a fire extinguisher and a pair of pliers to disconnect the battery. unfortunately he hit me in the face with the extinguisher spray as I was disconnecting the battery.
As I was talking with the emergency number for MB, a fire truck rolled up and started to cool down what they thought was the drive shaft (there isn't one under the car from front to rear) and the were concerned about a box they found under the floor... (pump and tire goo) Lets just say they learned a lot that day....
This happened in the middle of nowhere, only spectators were a group of cows in the field. car was 7 months old and had 17,000 miles on it. no options and a 2008 Pure.
I have been told it is in Germany in a warehouse after they did an analysis to find out what happened. up until then all the cars that had caught fire had burned up. I was quick enough to get it put out and they sent it back for dissection. I had put my store's name across the back window so I know the one in Germany is my car. I was told at a rally that there is a car just like mine with the same window label in Germany. Only 3 of the stickers were made. 1 on the car that burned. 2 on it's replacement car, and the 3rd I still have.
i remember that at the Dells rally!As one who's first smart caught on fire, back in 2008, I felt smart was quite responsive in looking into it and replacing my car. Not too sure it is as common as the website made it out to be. Some of the ones they showed (at least last time I looked at the site) were operator or mechanic's failures or mistakes.
The thing you have to remember is that sample size of data is extremely important. Anyone can gather data and put it all in one place. Seeing that data all there collected on a webpage gives the illusion of a widespread issue, even if that's not the intent of the one gathering the data. It's overwhelming to take in so much all at once.If I had seen this fire, I might not even have a smart today!!!!
Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk
Haha.... yea. loose terminal wire = smaller contact point = smaller surface area to transfer the same amount of current = tiny spot gets hot REAL quick.Learned the hard way on household electrical wiring that the screws on the outlets holding down the wires need to be tightened nice and tight otherwise there can be heat/melting!!! Little did I learn from EE/CS..... (Getting shocked 4 or so times last week didn't help either. Surprising how easy it is to shock yourself on A/C 120V.....)
So far no flames coming out of mine....
Maybe a good idea to leave the fire extinguisher in the smart from now on....
I'm not even going to bother. I used to debunk smart bashers on YouTube, now I stick to debunking smart bashers on Jalopnik (I'm officially/unofficially royalty on Jalopnik nowadays lol) and fighting folks on Breitbart.Smart Fortwo car fire reports: Safety investigators probe complaints of engines catching fire - CBS News
Of course the comments section is filled with people talking about smarts who know nothing about them and who have obviously never driven one or even sat in one... it's kind of like reading a Consumer Reports review of the car. I put my own two cents in their to correct some of their stupidity.