Smart Car of America Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
2013 Smart 451 Passion
30 Posts
This is an interesting thread. This is why I started a thread on "Fuel tank Overtopping" when I noticed gas smells and gas leakage on my newly bought Smart car. I noticed this when I let the gas pump nozzle go to auto-cutoff, and the tank seemed overfilled. Until I solve this mystery, I'm carefully filling the tank!

--Bill

· Registered
2009 Fortwo Passion Cabrio Smart Car & 2016 Fortwo Passion
21 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Mercedes-Benz did a recall that was linked to this issue and fixed it for free!!! Every Smart owner should check your vin # for any recalls!! I had mine done!!
The recall affects approximately 42,000 vehicles with production dates between September 20, 2007, and November 2, 2009. MBUSA’s investigation found that material properties in certain areas of the insulation mats could change over time due to various factors including heat. This could then lead to sagging and reduced thermal resistance of the insulation mat. Conclusions were made that the degradation of the insulation mat installed in model years 2008 and 2009 vehicles was the root cause for the engine compartment fire incidents.

· Registered
Now 09 451 Passion Cabriolet Met Blue & Silver First 08 451 Passion Cabriolet Yellow & Black
2,338 Posts
The question now is.
Will a Mercedes-Benz dealership that is not any longer authorized to work on smarts handle the smart recall?
What about a Mercedes-Benz dealer that never was authorized to work on a smart.
Can or will they handle the recall?

· Registered
21 Posts
The question now is.
Will a Mercedes-Benz dealership that is not any longer authorized to work on smarts handle the smart recall?
What about a Mercedes-Benz dealer that never was authorized to work on a smart.
Can or will they handle the recall?
I had to call around and find one that would still work on Smart Cars.... I live in WV and the 2 closest to me wouldn't work on it, but MB in Pittsburgh,PA did the recall free of charge!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts