Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe I'm the only person who has ever wondered this. I've searched the forums and found similar threads dating back to 2008, but nobody has ever asked this. Has no one else encountered this?

In my 2015 smart ED, there are two ports in my glove box. One is a USB port that feeds into one channel of my "Media" control audio system, and the other a 3.5mm audio cable (e.g., headphone size) input. These two add multiple dimensions to my driving experience, as radio has become a veritable wasteland around here.

Thanks in large part to this site, I learned about and purchased a rechargeable Bluetooth dongle that I plug into the audio port, and play either from my phone or an iPod that is Bluetooth equipped. It's the USB port that is having me scratch my head.

I have a lot of unused USB thumb drives hanging around. I have them from 4GB to 128GB in size.

Yet, it seems the smart ED can only recognized the 4GB drives. And not even all of those.

Oh, I've tried reformatting them to FAT32, which is likely the lowest common denominator to thumb drives, but no matter how clever I get ("quick format," "deep format," exFat, NTFS, etc.), no drive above 4GB is seen my smart. Currently, I have two 4GB drives that the car recognizes, but only one is small enough to not block the aux port!

I'd like to have more of my music available on demand, but I''ll be darned if I can figure out how format an 8GB drive so that the smart will see it.

How have others done this? Am I the only one who's had difficulty doing so?

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using a 32GB low profile USB drive in our 2011 with no issues, and it doesn't block the AUX IN jack. :)
Y'know, it's funny (in a sort of embarrassing way) that sometimes when I create a post, almost immediately after, I resolve the problem, or it resolves itself. Just moments ago, I formatted and copied a bunch of mp3 files onto two 8GB thumb drives that work perfectly!

I do have one of those "micro-sized" 32GB drives that I may try. 32GB is a lot of music! :)

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,095 Posts
A kewl Bluetooth solution without changing the radio

While I still find it odd (okay, CHEAP) that M-B didn't include Bluetooth in our 451 smarts . . .

Nulaxy KM28 Bluetooth 3.0 FM Wireless Transmitter - $25 or less

Stream from your phone
Accommodates both USB & TF at 32G
2 USB charging ports - 2.4A & Smart QC 3.0 USB port

Allows you to monitor the 12V battery voltage - especially handy if you have been stung by the ED 12V battery failure!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F71NMQS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

·
Registered
729 Posts
I actually went with a cheap Bluetooth hands free set that is powered by the USB in glove box and played through the aux port in there as well.

Then I decided to yank it all and install a CarPlay capable radio, speakers, and sub.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts