Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use the USB connector in the glove box to charge a cell phone? Any things I should know before doing it?

Len
2014 EV Coupe 16,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 7,000 miles

·
Super Moderator
17,555 Posts
It's kinda bad at charging recent phones, especially devices with a high power demand. I had a phone that still discharged battery while connected to it. Any "cigarette lighter" USB port will run circles around it, but I suppose it should work in a pinch.

Reactions: MB DNA

·
Super Moderator
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - just trying to plan ahead a little. Expecting Florence to knock out my power and I wanted to have a way to send out a message if need be.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 16,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 7,000 miles

·
Super Moderator
29,155 Posts
I thought the USB in the glovebox was input only.... Pick up one of those car charger plugs and use the 12v outlet in the center console. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Input and output but yea I consider it input only because even if I am just running pandora on my phone with the screen off it might trickle charge. It really is more so a convenience thing, although I love the ipod funtion on the touchscreen smart radio

·
Registered
7 Posts
We used it from time to time, for charging it provides little power. It works slow, very slow, if you are not using the phone. Use an adapter for the lighter connection, that will give you full power. This in our 2015 ED. Our 2018ED has a connector hidden in the radio center and in the front panel that provide full power and work fine.

Be safe!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts