Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. First post here. Have a 2009 bought 15 months ago from Carmax. The engine light came on yesterday while on the freeway coming home to Sherman Oaks. Anyone know if I can take it to my trusted mechanic here, or do I need to take it to BH dealer or the Carmax folks service department? Help appreciated, thanks. - Simmie

·
Registered
800 Posts
most chain auto stores will be able to read the codes. Same with a good mechanic. Do not top off the tank after the pump shuts off, sometimes this causes codes. 09 should not be gas cap (has its own light) but make sure it is tight,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Duckhunter. I will heed the gas warning. Whoever reads the codes, though... what will that tell them and do you personally think there is a major problem? How long do you think I can wait until getting the "codes read"? Nothing at all seemed wrong with the car while driving, and there were no unusual noises either. It think it should be obvious by now that I know very little about this fabulous little gem of a car. My bad, and I know it's time I learned more, but as I do so, all help is welcomed. Thanks.

·
Registered
800 Posts
very hard to tell, if the car is running fine it could be just a senser out of tolerance. The code should get them the particular part that is having the issue. I am sure more here will chine in.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
1) Do not Top Off The Tank (First Click)
2) Gas Cap Rule: 3 Clicks
3) Code light problem: Take it to Advance Auto or Auto Zone for a FREE code check.
4) Pick up your favorite Fuel Injector cleaner, and pour it in your tank (light may go out after that tank of Gas)
5) Check your Oil (Max Fill Mark) Antifreeze (Max Fill Mark) All is good.
6) Keep driving with that light on for a few weeks (may have picked up some bad fuel)
7) Take it out on the FreeWay, and run the PISS out of it. (cleans the spark plugs, catalytic converter, and oxygen sensor)
8) Light will try a reset every 20 miles (If problem solved by any of the above. The light will go out by itself)
9) Last resort: MB has coffee & donuts while waiting for your car to be fixed...<:))

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, all, very very much. I do have the manual and am looking forward to spending the remainder of New Year's Day digesting it, jwight, cover to cover - right after I go out and check that I have 3 clicks on the gas cap, Brabus007. And I will check out the Stickies, and the Evilution site (odd name, I must say), and all other suggestions.

Since tomorrow's a work day, I hope the stop at Auto Zone can wait until the weekend, because unless someone chimes in with a dire warning not to, I plan on driving it the 18 miles roundtrip for the next few days. Happy New Year to all of you, and hey, how come you guys are aren't in front of the TV watching a Bowl game or two? :->) -Simmie

·
Super Moderator
11,208 Posts
If the CEL (Check Engine Light) is flashing, shut it down right away! if it is on steady, check fluids and listen for abnormal noise, then drive it if you need to.

Could be a sparkplug if it has been around 30K miles since they were changed (depending on what plugs were installed)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Meaning, is mine an automatic or a manual? If that's the question, jetfuel, then the answer is Automatic. Not accustomed to the shorthand of the Forum World. And by Mr. Bond (007) I assume you're not warning me against shaking the car, are you? Instead, I gather you would have me take the advice of Mr. Brabus, eh? ... just checking.

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
..sorry newbie...my bad...
Yes mr Bond is Brabus 007
...can't remember if Pure has paddle shifter...my bad..
...ALL the recommendations posted are good starters for troubleshooting but the best one will be the code the computer is using to give the CEL

Jetfuel.....Duuuuuuuuuhhh

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No problem at all, jetfuel. Actually MY bad for not knowing these things, which probably makes me a pain in the ass. But man, am I learning! Had no idea what a paddle shifter was, and instead of bugging my Rose Bowl watching husband, I googled it.

So I guess no, no paddle shifter. And after what jimvw57 just said, well, I guess I'd better take it into my mechanic as soon as possible. I think I have around 33K on it now (25.7K when purchased), so the plugs might need to be checked, unless the code says differently. Thanks again.

And BTW, I was kidding about the shaken vs. stirred referrence. I would NEVER shake my Smart!

·
Super Moderator
11,208 Posts
Ummmmm.. Hate to say this but you do have a manual transmission. All smart cars have a manual transmission. there is a clutch, but the computer takes care of that for you. You have an Automatic Mode for your transmission, and Pure's don't have paddle shifters.

And put some miles on that baby!! My 2009 Pure has just over 116,000 miles...
If you don't ask, you'll never know! we do have a few secrets like the 3rd cup holder, and the secret compartment...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
(I'm copy/pasting because I don't know how to reply to a specific individual post, alas)

To jimvw57, re: "Ummmmm.. Hate to say this but you do have a manual transmission. All smart cars have a manual transmission. there is a clutch, but the computer takes care of that for you. You have an Automatic Mode for your transmission, and Pure's don't have paddle shifters. And put some miles on that baby!! My 2009 Pure has just over 116,000 miles... If you don't ask, you'll never know! we do have a few secrets like the 3rd cup holder, and the secret compartment.."

It's a manual tranny? Son of a gun. Who'da thunk? Came as no surprise to my husband, though. Anyway, because it seems to shift automatically - and also because I never learned to drive a stick, and therefore have no frame of reference - I just assumed it was an Automatic. So thanks for the clarity.

And the secret compartment? Would that be the one in the tailgate? It's the third cupholder, though, that I'm extremely curious about. Considering this is legally only allowed to seat two people, would the third be for the St. Bernard you throw in the back cargo area? :->)

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
(I'm copy/pasting because I don't know how to reply to a specific individual post, alas)

To jimvw57, re: "Ummmmm.. Hate to say this but you do have a manual transmission. All smart cars have a manual transmission. there is a clutch, but the computer takes care of that for you. You have an Automatic Mode for your transmission, and Pure's don't have paddle shifters. And put some miles on that baby!! My 2009 Pure has just over 116,000 miles... If you don't ask, you'll never know! we do have a few secrets like the 3rd cup holder, and the secret compartment.."

It's a manual tranny? Son of a gun. Who'da thunk? Came as no surprise to my husband, though. Anyway, because it seems to shift automatically - and also because I never learned to drive a stick, and therefore have no frame of reference - I just assumed it was an Automatic. So thanks for the clarity.

And the secret compartment? Would that be the one in the tailgate? It's the third cupholder, though, that I'm extremely curious about. Considering this is legally only allowed to seat two people, would the third be for the St. Bernard you throw in the back cargo area? :->)
Smart Back Seat

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,970 Posts
:welcome: to the forum, aka The Asylum, where we are all a bit crazy about our smarts and some of us are just crazy. Stay away from padded cell #1, he's the craziest of all.

No question is too dumb to ask on here though I usually read posts and file the information away for future reference. The guys and gals on here are lots of help when you have a problem or just a simple question.

Remember that the more you drive your smart the happier he/she will be. Our little cars love the open road whether it be back road, highway or interstate. Curvy roads are the most fun.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts