515 Posts
well i post and re look at the pictures and there they are fog lights

only three pictures when it started...guess somebody said something to him

nice plate...

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Let's say someone bought this car...

Can you just cancel the BAP, and escape with a $10,000 electric Smart, or do you have to buy the battery?

How does that work, in this case?

·
Registered
832 Posts
according to the BAP terms, you'd have to return the battery to smart, if you stop making payments. Now, I don't know if they can
-repo the entire car, just because you don't pay for the battery lease
-repo the car, remove the battery, and return the glider to you (or tell you you can pick it up from them)

I guess they could sue you for breach of contract, at the very least.

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
In a PURCHASE, you own the sled and M-B owns the (BAP month to month) rented battery. You return the battery to a smart Center and tow the sled home.

The burden lies with the seller and it is in his/her best interest to see that the BAP transfer is handled so as to avoid what some estimate to be the $25,000 battery cost. Could be a hiccup if you sold the sled to someone who might not be credit worthy for the BAP program?

As for who wins if you choose to not play fair, likely M-B has the higher paid attorneys . . .

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
And eBay sez

2013 smart fortwo ED cabrio, 8,500 miles w/BAP.

Two bidders initially in the mix with a sniper coming in at the last few seconds stealing it away for a final price of $11,600.

Note, Buy It Now price was listed at $15,000.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In light of the 3 listed on Cars.com, $19,600 to $20,985, the final selling price on eBay is very good. Those retail dealers are going to be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
In light of the 3 listed on Cars.com, $19,600 to $20,985, the final selling price on eBay is very good. Those retail dealers are going to be disappointed.
True but pricing pre-owned EV's especially limited distribution smart ED's is best done with a dart board?

The three listed (2 coupes/1 cabrio with the $900 Kinetic Green Appearance Package) on Cars.com have less than 3,000 miles and are dealer inventory. We don't know if the batteries are owned or BAP? With BAP, I'd deduct $5,000ish from the retail.

Hidden cost in this purchase, because of the limited EV range unless you lived in NH add shipping. $11,600 for an "average" Private Party sale was probably a few thousand under "market."

Then again, smart ED it is such a niche model of a niche brand with so few resales, who knows what the demand is and the "true market pricing" should be?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Freaking hell, I typed up a three page writeup and this forum tossed it because it signed me out by the time I hit the post button.

I was the winner of the auction. After getting out of the military a few years back I vowed never to buy a gasoline vehicle again, for political reasons. I test drove the ED Smart in December with Todd Whitelaw at Smart Center Boston and loved it, but it was a little over my budget so I held off. Months later this appeared and I sniped it with two seconds to go in my typical jerk fashion ;)

Everything said and done, I saved $3000 on a 2013 model with 8000 miles and three years left on the warranty, instead of a brand new 2014 with four years. I'd say from a value proposition I broke even since the car is pristine. The seller lived in New Hampshire and simply had too many miles to cover comfortably.

To the posters asking about buying a glider with Battery Assurance Plus, it was indeed dicey. But Todd also sold this car to the previous owner and he helped us both with the purchase. Even though we could transfer the BAP lease to me, I insisted on owning the battery outright. Todd actually spoke with MercBenz financial and worked it out so I could pay the $5010 subsidy and own the battery. He's a class act for helping me even though he didn't make the sale the second time around, and in retrospect I would have bought new from him.

I'm thrilled with the car in any event. I'm currently parked in a Boston space impossible for any other car to wedge into, I have more acceleration than my previous V6 lead-sled, and I found a 240v outlet at work I can use.

My only complains are the awkward brake hinge on smart cars, the poor rear visibility (especially with the top dropped), and that Smart offered a "Premium Audio" option which in The Year of Our Lord Twenty and Thirteen doesn't include Bluetooth. But hey, first world problems, right? I will try circumventing the rear-view with either a wink mirror or a backup camera style digital rear-view display. There's some USB dongles on eBay for $5 that receive A2DP Bluetooth and output to Aux, so that's worth a shot. Glad to be in the Smart Car club!

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
:welcome: to SCoA! and congrats on the new smart - you'll enjoy it for sure. :)

PS - always good to see short, concise posts here...:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts