Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
That was quick!

It seems to me though, that after rebates and all, you could get a brand new unused one for about the same price or less.

In Ontario Canada:
new price: 26,600
with 13% HST: 30,058
less 8,500 rebate: 21,558

That one: 18,489
with 13% HST: 20,892 (as a comparison if were for sale in Ontario)

·
Registered
142 Posts
So sad. Someone gave up their ED after nearly 6k mi. I'd give it a home if it weren't so far away (and I had a spare 20k)

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
If that's without battery assurance then that price is a tremendous steal... You're looking at roughly $8,000 in savings minimum...

I don't know about that 90 mile range though... not mine... 75 comfortable freeway miles, 85 stop and go traffic, without running the heater or a/c is more likely...

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
For some of the challenges that new Ed owners have had with EV vs ICE registration, it will be interesting how a financial institution determines the loan value basis on a slightly used Ed (glider or w/battery)?

Wonder if this was a lease or purchase boomerang?

Fortunately it is at a M-B dealer (not a smart Center?) who might be familiar with the product?

·
Registered
465 Posts
If that's without battery assurance then that price is a tremendous steal... You're looking at roughly $8,000 in savings minimum...

I don't know about that 90 mile range though... not mine... 75 comfortable freeway miles, 85 stop and go traffic, without running the heater or a/c is more likely...
Like I suggested in my post, it's only a steal if your state doesn't have incentives on new EV's. In Canada, particularly Ontario, $8000 in savings is less than the Ontario rebate - as my brief calculations showed - the net cost would be about the same for a brand new one. For me, I would have to see another $4000 taken off the price for it to be a "steal."

·
Registered
465 Posts
That's a cool site.

I found this - a little off topic, but it relates to another thread recently:

Alternative Fuel Excise Tax Credit
A tax incentive is available for alternative fuel that is sold for use or used as a fuel to operate a motor vehicle. A tax credit in the amount of $0.50 per gallon is available for the following alternative fuels: compressed natural gas (based on 121 cubic feet), liquefied natural gas, liquefied petroleum gas, P-Series fuel, liquid fuel derived from coal through the Fischer-Tropsch process, and compressed or liquefied gas derived from biomass. For an entity to be eligible to claim the credit they must be liable for reporting and paying the federal excise tax on the sale or use of the fuel in a motor vehicle. Tax exempt entities such as state and local governments that dispense qualified fuel from an on-site fueling station for use in vehicles qualify for the incentive. Eligible entities must be registered with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The incentive must first be taken as a credit against the entity's alternative fuel tax liability; any excess over this fuel tax liability may be claimed as a direct payment from the IRS. The tax credit is not allowed if an incentive for the same alternative fuel is also determined under the rules for the ethanol or biodiesel tax credits. This tax credit is applicable to fuel sold or used between January 1, 2005, and December 31, 2013. For more information about claiming the credit, see IRS Publication 510 (PDF) and IRS Forms 637, 720, 4136, and 8849, which are available on the IRS Forms and Publications website. (Reference Public Law 112-240 and 26 U.S. Code 6426)

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Can you get it serviced, at any MB dealership, across the country?
NO - SWAG as I have no real basis for my response but, without "trained" ED technicians a "batteries required" ugly stepchild of a M-B will likely be turned away.

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
Most of the SCoA membership is based in the USA so you'll have to excuse the bias toward what's available in the US vs. the ROW, as that's what most members have access to. :)

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Can you get it serviced, at any MB dealership, across the country?
If they won't work on smart ICE vehicles, why would they make the exception for smart ED's? They are even less equipped for those than smart ICE.
If I sound irritated, it is because I was told at the local MB dealer to try the local Mitsubishi Dealer! :(

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Most of the SCoA membership is based in the USA so you'll have to excuse the bias toward what's available in the US vs. the ROW, as that's what most members have access to. :)
This thread needed a disclaimer? :confused:

Smart Car of AMERICA . . . :)

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
M-B (not a smart Center) Augusta, GA USA sez . . .

"This vehicle does come with the battery pack and charger!"

1 - 20 of 67 Posts