Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new and looking for a Brabus. I have missed out on a couple of 09 Brabus's. Both with about 31k miles. I was very comfortable with that. Now I have found one with 51k for about $8k. Seems like a good price. My question is what do you guys consider high mileage? It will be a toy and probably see 5 to 6k miles a years. I am just not familiar with the Smarts to know if 51k should scare me or be no big deal. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I have over 84000 on my '08 and expect to put on a lot more so 51000 ain't squat. I wouldn't be afraid of it. Chumly

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,093 Posts
Like anything, it depends on how well it was maintained. If the service records look good and it doesn't appear to have been abused, the mileage wouldn't concern me. I'm personally at 70K on my '08 with no drivetrain issues (knock on wood) and there are a few on here well north of 100K.

·
Registered
511 Posts
122K on Sweet Melissa and she's still going strong.
Smart's with around 50k mileage are going for a song these days.
I'd buy another one if I could afford it.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
It is not the mileage that is important, it is the way it was driven. Lots of short, cold engine trips mean more engine wear and a lot more clutch usage. Longer trips, allowing the engine to operate at the proper temperature and the clutch to be used infrequently, are much better for the car. Only the engine and clutch tell the truth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. There is no way to know how a used car has been driven. I was looking to see if there were common things that broke at certain mileage that I should be on the look out for. It appears that these cars a pretty solid and that any problems are fairly random.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Well, there is a way that often worls: Look at the brake pedal. If the rubber is heavily worn, it was a stop and go car. If it is brand spanking new rubber, the old one has just been replaced to sell the car and the original was really worn out. Reject that car.
Another way is to pull a rear wheel and look at the brakes, checking or measuring them for excess wear.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,093 Posts
Keeping the service records (if its a personal sale or the dealer will give you contact info) tells you something. I would also use a Blackstone oil analysis to check the health of the engine (fuel, coolant or other internal engine issues). The clutch actuator is probably the item of most concern, so making sure the car has the most recent transmission software update and that the shifts occur as expected would also be important.

Blackstone LemonAide

·
Registered
521 Posts
It is not the mileage that is important, it is the way it was driven. Lots of short, cold engine trips mean more engine wear and a lot more clutch usage. Longer trips, allowing the engine to operate at the proper temperature and the clutch to be used infrequently, are much better for the car. Only the engine and clutch tell the truth.

so a car with 5,748 miles is the same as a car with 87,000 miles? :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts