Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a power outage and was wondering if I could have used my Smart ED as power. I found this article:

B.C. man plugs into his electric Smart car during power failure | Driving

And was wondering: did he just use the cigarette-lighter like port under the dash? And does that not run on the 12-volt battery, and not the big battery? If the key is in the ON position does the big battery recharge the small one? Wondering what I could do next time. All I really want to do it keep the basics of my salt water aquarium going (canister filter and maybe a heater). I had a UPC running the canister filter alone for 4 hours, but it started to run out after that, and I was panicking for another hour and a half and then the power came back on.
Thanks.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Not sure on using the smart to power things.

But all you really need to run for your saltwater is a power head, heater, and maybe get a battery powered air pump. No need to run the canister. Those items will run a lot less power than the canister filter. On my 150gallon I just ran a undersized heater and small power head pointed at the surface to agitate the water surface. UPC managed to keep those running for almost 8 hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts