Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is rather embarrassing, I have had my 2018 EQ for over a year and hardly ever use the phone (I use Siri to voice text when I drive).
However, there have been several times my kids have called when I was driving and I could never pick up the call. The button on the steering
wheel did nothing? Then I hit the phone button and it just kept ringing. Yes, I did get an owners manual... Trouble is my daughter grabbed the
wrong one to take to California. I just have my 451 Brabus book, not very helpful...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
iPhone? Is it paired with radio? If so, some phone functions don’t work as long as radio is on. No, the steering wheel button does not work. At least that’s what happens on my 2016 ICE.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
iPhone? Is it paired with radio? If so, some phone functions don’t work as long as radio is on. No, the steering wheel button does not work. At least that’s what happens on my 2016 ICE.
So, it is when I am listening to the radio (I am constantly streaming music in the car). Is it the streaming? But, the music shuts off for the incoming phone call. Something does not make sense?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Not certain, don’t stream music in the car. Don’t know if there were any software changes for the 2018 year compared with my 2016.

·
Registered
42 Posts
In my 2017 ICE 453 with the standard Smart Media, when a call comes in to a paired phone, the audio (whether radio, streaming audio, or stored music) is muted for the call.

Ron

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My issue is it’s the standard radio. It cuts out for the phone call... But, I have not found a way to pick up the call?

·
Registered
216 Posts
My issue is it’s the standard radio. It cuts out for the phone call... But, I have not found a way to pick up the call?
I have a 2017 ED passion, with the standard radio setup like yours. The Operator's manual, in it's "Using a mobile phone" section, states (p92.) under "Accepting a call", to "Press the TEL} button." This is the furthest button on on the right of the radio row of buttons. I just tried it and it answered my call.

I also tried to answer with the steering wheel center button (with the face talking/phone receiver image) , but it failed to pick up.

Since the manual only discusses using the steering wheel button in it's "Operating and setting up the smart Media-System" section (italics mine), maybe that's why it doesn't work for us, since we don't have that system, although the volume buttons along side of this button work just fine. Crazy huh?:eek:

This was all tested calling from my landline cordless to my cell, which was a bit sketchy since it was at the limit of my cordless's range in the garage. I will try it again using wife's cell to my cell when she gets home. So I may get different answers then...:unsure:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I finally pulled the online manual, and read the pages about the phone, in my book it was pages 99-103. So, I printed them and will try it out in the next day or two. Thanks ? for the effort!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK. Thank you for the help... After sitting in my car with printed directions from the owners manual, I then proceeded to sit down and learn. 1st thing I noticed, was the directions do not work for the standard radio. When the directions started telling me how to adjust the front/rear balance... I tossed the pages into the recycle bin.

It appears, it's pretty simple. When the call comes in, hit the phone button on the dash to answer. When you want to hangup , just hit the same phone button to disconnect. You can adjust the call volume with the volume buttons on the steering wheel. The right side voice/phone button does not do anything. Ditto the 'OK' button on the left. You can preset the volume of your phone for when a call comes in, simply push the phone button again and scroll to you see phone volume setting. If you want to call back the last caller, push and hold the phone button and it will connect you to your last caller.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts