Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Utica, NY - Smart Treasure Hunting

I live in Utica, and up until recently, I've rarely seen Smart Cars anywhere in the area. Lately, some 451s seem to be out and about, and I love catching them.

For quite a while, I've been seeing a Yellow Smart around Downtown, more-so during the Summer months.

A couple of weeks ago, I saw a Red one going down the Parkway - a main thoroughfare across the city.

Last week, a Silver one I've seen a couple times turned left next to me in an intersection, and she stopped next to me to chat. I noticed she had a nice two-tone red and black interior, and I complimented it. She asked how I liked my car, and said she's had hers for years. I told her I only had mine for about a month. :p I wish we were able to chat longer, but a car behind me was getting impatient for the 10 seconds we spoke. :roll eyes:

So far, I've yet to see another Blue one in the area.

I've yet to see White or Black, and I've never seen any Cabrio - I'd be interested in adding them to my treasure hunt! I'm glad to see that these cars are still the unique little eye-catchers of the road. I get a lot of looks and compliments, which I'm still getting used to!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, what the heck. I figured I'd update for the Mohawk Valley. One day before St Patrick's Day (I want to say Friday, March 16th) I saw that Yellow and Black bumble bee again. As tempted as I was to reroute and follow it, I realized I would just come off as kind of creepy. :p

I'd love to see a stranger come on here one day and identify themselves! Does anyone else get as excited when they happen to run in to a local Smartie?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Early last week I found a 2008 red-orange with a black Tridion in a driveway. They put a Mercedes badge on the rear bumper. :D

Last last week I saw that yellow / black bumblebee again! Come forward already!!!

Early this week, I saw a silver / silver one no more than 4 blocks away from where I saw the yellow / black one while in Downtown Utica. Smarts galore! It makes me happy. :p

Still haven't seen black, white, or that new sky-blue in person. Saw the matte green at Smart Latham.

That Albany dealer had an ED out back ready for a scheduled checkup, decked out as a Domino's delivery vehicle. Apparently, the owner of a Domino's in the area has 8 vehicles - 6 Smarts, a Smart ED and a Fiat 500. I wouldn't mind delivering pizzas there!

·
Registered
169 Posts
By sky blue, I am assuming you mean the light metallic blue... like mine.

If you want to see it in person, feel free to come to Rochester for a visit. Just PM me a day or two in advance of your trip, so I can give you a good meeting place.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
By sky blue, I am assuming you mean the light metallic blue... like mine.

If you want to see it in person, feel free to come to Rochester for a visit. Just PM me a day or two in advance of your trip, so I can give you a good meeting place.
I might take you up on that some day. That is, of course, you unless you want to meet, and show off your car at my Watkins Glen event this July. :D

A couple of mornings last week, I saw a silver/black Smart parked in front of a little pizza place, near the railroad tracks downtown. Today, I saw my first matte green one out in the wild! It was green/black, and parked at some packing or machining building just off the North / South Arterial.

The Smarties are becoming plentiful!!! :)

I wish I had some template for SCOA business cards to put on the windshields of these cars. It seems I'm the only one out of about a half dozen Smarts in the area visiting here.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found a Silver and Black one off of Vickerman Hill in German Flatts, NY! :D Also found a family of Sheep. Not sure which I was more excited to see.

Also passed a Yellow and Black one in downtown NY today. I think it's the usually Yellow one that's always in the heart of the city.

Love seeing Smarts around. Someone that works at St. Elizabeth's hospital owns the 2008 Orange and Black one with a Mercedes badge on the bumper. I honked as I passed, and he looked at me with a bit of happiness and shock. :p

·
Registered
169 Posts
In Rochester? Dinosaur BBQ.
Dino works, but so does Nick Tahou's (city or Henrietta) or Steve T's (formerly Nick's Lyell Ave location, but family falling out broke it off).

If you are coming or are here, when? (Can't 8-5 Mon-Fri, except Nick's Henrietta... just barely.)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can add cabrios and sky blue to the list thanks to the Watkins Glen event!

I saw the silver/silver on the Parkway today. I was stopped at a red light going one way, and he was heading the opposite way. He honked and waved, and I honked and waved back.

Oh, the little things in life. :p That made my day. I've seen the guy around downtown, and it's the same silver/silver as before.

Still very tempted to go visit the owner of the matte green one at his work. :wink: It might come off as stalker-ish, though.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is a light blue / black Tridion 2013 Smart on the Parkway. Usually it's out front of a large home, or it's across the street in the spare parking lot next to our Rec. Center in East Utica. Very cool, a real local - like 3 minutes local!

I'm going to have to print up some SCoA cards, inviting folks to the forums, and hopefully to Watkins Glen this Summer! :)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Smart Car Utica Group has been born on Facebook, and it's thanks to the owner of the red and black Smart owner right over my way in Clinton. I think he must see the same Smart cars I do, always going in the opposite direction of course.

I'm going to pull a page out of Danny's book from Counting Cars - whenever I see an interesting car or especially another Smart, I'm going to make an attempt to chat with the owner. The then-mysterious MV1 was a good example of a car-I-should-have-followed. :p

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Someone left a simple note on my windshield on Saturday, while shopping in New Hartford.

I SAW YOU. AMEN!
It made my day. This was the same place I saw the red and black one a while back. :p Whoever did it; thanks for the smile! :)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I saw a new all-white Brabus or HighStyle - didn't know which. It had Brabus wheels, but I didn't see any other markings. It was going over Burrstone Road. Shame I can't follow these Smarts when I find them!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I put a note on the windshield of the yellow and black Bumblebee. They had a plate frame from Smart Center Latham. :) Hope to see them here one day!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts