Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the eighth month of ownership, the black plastics on the rear hatch look as if they have been on the car for decades. My little smart was bought knowing it would be kept outside. I know UV rays aren't kind, but these plastics look bad: cloudy, off-color, and now faded.

I have used Meguiar's Plast-X plastic cleaner/polish. It sort of spruces up the plastic until the next wash, but I am really concerned as to when the plastic will just crumble apart. Any similar concerns from other smart owners?

A car cover isn't an option for me, as with the dust and wind where I live, I can see even the best of car covers abrading the car's finish.

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
2+ years of ownership and 84,000 miles... they've faded but they're still there.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
No issues here in PHX. By chance, are you comparing the black on the panels vs. the tridion? The black plastic panels are solid black with a clear coat and the tridion frame is a deeper/darker black which I believe is powder coated.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
I mentioned it to my service center. He whipped out some "Very Cherry" and Polished the side right back to a black. I said great, now how about the other side. So he kept going and did the other side. Then i looked at the black on the center top with the brake light and it didn't match any more. So he did that too.

He didn't give me a recommendation, he just tried the product on hand and it worked.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
One more thing on my "to-do" list is to paint them. My are faded like crazy to. I normally use plastic polish or even wax to bring them back to life for a few weeks when I have the spare time.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Noticed the top center plastic had a white cloudiness on spots, Used some ICE on it and it got better. I then used some scratch out and it cleaned right up. Followed with some ice and it has not retuned in 3 months.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I almost always spritz my car with wax as you dry wax after washing. It must be a good Idea because Mine is still looking like the day I got it. I sit out in the weather all day, almost 6 days a week, while at work.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Hello hidesertmlb:

Just for clarification, do you have blue panels and a black tridion? according to your profile? Sorry about my original answer, I have black/black.

If so, and you are just asking about the valence and other black detail parts, a vinyl cleaner/enhancer wipe can help with the oxidation.

As a minor sidenote to the SCOA boss: I wish we had the year of car and color combo info. back under the user name. It helps with responding to questions and answers.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
As a minor sidenote to the SCOA boss: I wish we had the year of car and color combo info. back under the user name. It helps with responding to questions and answers.
:confused::confused::confused: I think that is up to the user. I see a lot of people without it.....make that most people.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Noticed the top center plastic had a white cloudiness on spots, Used some ICE on it and it got better. I then used some scratch out and it cleaned right up. Followed with some ice and it has not retuned in 3 months.
Scratch out?:confused:

·
Super Moderator
17,723 Posts
The Envoy has the same plastic (or similar) for the running boards...They're more faded than my oldest shirt...But a waxing and they look like brand new (they match the same plastic on the rear bumper, which IS new!)...

The Envoy is over 7 years old and the plastic doesn't appear to have degraded in strength (I did say running board too), it just takes a pounding from UV...

I bet if you waxed them regularly from day one fading wouldn't happen that fast...

·
He's not mine
9,619 Posts
A question for the number of people who have recommended waxing the black plastic ...
What? Any contact with most waxes causes the plastic to be "more or less" permanently discolored. Sooooo, what'cha talking about?

·
Super Moderator
17,723 Posts
I guess it depends on the wax applied. Some noted a black wax, etc...:confused:

The Envoy's plastic goes black with automatic wash wax...And then fades back out like a month or so later...

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
No person yet knows until we hear back from the original poster (OP). Some are typing about panels and others are typing about trim pieces. Some are typing about coupes and some are typing about cabrio's.

·
Super Moderator
17,723 Posts
The trim on the cabrio is exactly the same as a coupe, unless you're talking about the shiny black pieces on the coupe's hatch...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts