Smart Car of America Forum banner

Do you have a valet key to LOCK and UNLOCK your car?

• Did you get it from the dealer

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Did you get if from a locksmith

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked for a valet or flat key that would LOCK and UNLOCK my car. I spend much time in our beautiful Florida rivers and springs. Much of the year, there is no concession area to hold my key and the chip key can't get wet. What I got after a 10 day wait for $45 was a key that will only UNLOCK my car. You have to use the chip key to lock it. That is no help to me at all. Is there another key option that my service adviser doesn't know about?

·
Super Moderator
28,957 Posts
:welcome: to SCoA! :)

As you've found out, the mechanical key can only unlock the car (by pulling a cable) - it can't push the cable to lock it.

PS - when you say "valet key" are you really just wanting a second electronic key fob? If not, you might want to add a third choice to your poll - "There is no valet key."

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
I found that out when one key's battery went dead. Fortunately my Dad had the back up key and I was able to lock the key till I could get the battery replaced.

·
Super Moderator
28,957 Posts
I think they figured people would use the two key fobs that come with the car. In the OP's case, there are a variety of waterproof devices designed for those folks who participate in water sports.... :)

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Valet key for a smart car? Seriously? Most valet keys deny access to certain features and limit the power and gear selection. How much do you want to choke the awesome power of a smart? 15hp? Lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
787 Posts
Lock the car wih the FOB. Then use the FOB to open the rear window. Throw the key under a seat - or otherwise hide it inside the car. Close the window. The car is now locked and secure.

Later on, use the FOB-less blank to unlock the car and retrieve your keys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts