Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on our newly acquired 12 Smart the valve cover was previously I stalked with grey RTV and leaking badly, I order a gasket and it came today. I figured it would have a lip & bolt holes. But it’s just a thin silicone bead material. And the grove on the valve cover is very shallow. What’s the trick to get it to stay in place as I install it? I have worked on several cars mostly Euro cars, and this is a first running into this type of gasket without a placement grove or through bolt holes. What’s everyone doing? Thanks

·
Registered
333 Posts
Try using a thin coating of Hylomar Universal Blue. It will give you a bit of a tacky surface to stick the gasket in place. It doesn't set like an RTV does.

I use it all the time as a coating on the paper gaskets common on motorcycles. Because it doesn't set, I can remove and reuse the gaskets.

It used to be available through NAPA and Permatex, not sure if they are still licensed to produce/sell it. Otherwise Amazon looks to have it.

Hylomar Universal Blue Sealant - PL32

~toaster

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I’m going to try the gasket dressing today. And yes I got new plugs, and have been dong as many preventive things as possible. Removed & cleaned and re-lubed the shift actuator and gear selector motor. And have been going over any paint or corrosion while I have it apart.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts