Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know if I can put a standard rubber valve stem in place of the TPS? I am building a spare and don't need or want a TPS on it.

·
Super Moderator
11,305 Posts
Yes you can. Make sure you have the TPMS removed before you take the rim in as most places won't replace a TPMS with a rubber stem. They will say it is part of the safety system and can't be messed with.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Just leave the TPMS, on you wheels. Unless you want too look at the low tire icon, all the time. You probably can put on a rubber stem on the spare. I got 3 other late model cars, that don’t have a TPMS sensor on their spare tires. You might want to do a set up like this....

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
That is a great idea, is it a custom job? Any pics of the mounting?
The top photo is a spare tire hitch mount. Folds down. You would have to put a receiver hitch on you smart car. You can buy the fold down hitch. at any shop, that sells towing equipment.

The bottom IOWA smart. The gentleman told me he custom made that spare tire hanger.
Bolted up to the smart cars towing points.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so I found an ebay front steel wheel for $75 shipped and got a Formosa tire for $50 (Walmart) free shipping.
I have a harbor freight tire machine so mount my own tires to the rim so assuming the rubber valve stem works I should be in business.
Now I need to devise my mounting method on the car.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Actual, if a TPMS is tire pressure is low, or has a dead battery. The icon will appear on the dash cluster. The tire doesn’t need to rotate. On more sophisticated vehicles, the TPMS will tell you the tire pressure, when low. We own 3 cars with that feature.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ok so I found an ebay front steel wheel for $75 shipped and got a Formosa tire for $50 (Walmart) free shipping.
I have a harbor freight tire machine so mount my own tires to the rim so assuming the rubber valve stem works I should be in business.
Now I need to devise my mounting method on the car.
So what size tire did you get? Looks like Federal makes quite a few inexpensive tires. I opted for a Kumho 125/80-15 temporary spare, because it was the thinnest tire I could find that kept the same approximate diameter, in order to store behind the seat. I have one for each of my Smarts, and a spare, thanks to an Amazon screwup. I love the hitch mount shown, but installing the hitch looks to be a bit troublesome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts