Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else encountered this problem?

In my 451 I have both seats fully slid back as far as possible... long legs. :D

This exposes the seat rails for the driver's seat, but not for the passenger seat. Twice now, the exposed seat rail has inflicted injury... the first time was when a friend entered my smart with flip-flops and badly cut her foot on the rail... and most recently when I was exiting the car without fully opening the door (tight quarters) I cut my right leg on it.

Looking for a solution other than duct taping a big hideous block of foam to the rails, or taking the grinder to it! :hackitup:

~toaster

·
Registered
907 Posts
Has anyone else encountered this problem?

In my 451 I have both seats fully slid back as far as possible... long legs. :D

This exposes the seat rails for the driver's seat, but not for the passenger seat. Twice now, the exposed seat rail has inflicted injury... the first time was when a friend entered my smart with flip-flops and badly cut her foot on the rail... and most recently when I was exiting the car without fully opening the door (tight quarters) I cut my right leg on it.

Looking for a solution other than duct taping a big hideous block of foam to the rails, or taking the grinder to it! :hackitup:

~toaster
Yes I have.
On my first 08 smart I used several coats of black Plasti Dip to take the edge off the rails.
Another option is small black rubber tubing. Slice it longwise and slide it over the rail

Unless you never ever plan on selling the car, I would not grind down the rails. A potential buyer may need to slide the seat up. You really don't want to reduce your potential buyers pool, (an already small pool of buyers) if you decide or have to sell.

Just some ideas.
Good luck

JL

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They do that. My son's 451 did that to me too...I filed the edges that were sharp
I think that may be the only solution. Any sort of covering will be knocked/scraped off when the seat is slid forward... often when I get my vehicle back after it has undergone a state inspection & emissions check I find the seat moved forward. Short mechanics... why do they need lifts? :wink:

~toaster

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
If the seat was never going to be moved forward you could coat the exposed portions of the rails with some of that liquid rubber(?) stuff they use for dipping tool handles into...:shrug:

·
Registered
249 Posts
I am forever catching the pant leg of my shorts on the front of the rail, it's a wonder sometimes how I make it out with then still on, LOL.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,565 Posts
I just saw a photo of emailchrishall's car on another thread and his EV has what looks like factory seat rail covers. I have asked him about them and awaiting an answer. It is on the "What did you do to your smart today?" thread.

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
Wow, almost ten years and that one problem I never had.
Here too. Never knew it was an issue. My car just had its 9th birthday Wednesday ... from delivery date 7/12/2008. From the thread, it sounds like it's only a problem for folks with bare legs. If so, that explains why it hasn't been a problem for me. And I always have my seat all the way back.

My mother has cut her finger several times when opening the passenger side door. I think she pinches her finger somehow. I've never done that to myself either. I'm not fond of pain and bleeding.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I just saw a photo of emailchrishall's car on another thread and his EV has what looks like factory seat rail covers. I have asked him about them and awaiting an answer. It is on the "What did you do to your smart today?" thread.

I looked. Those aren't them. Mercedes lists Brabus parts as it's own. The part number I posted is for the Brabus covers.

They have the Brabus logo, just like this spoiler if I can link it correctly:

Smart KO'd by Highlander

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=90838&share_tid=137249&share_pid=1515449&url=http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1515449&share_type=t

·
17,478 Posts
Here too. Never knew it was an issue. My car just had its 9th birthday Wednesday ... from delivery date 7/12/2008. From the thread, it sounds like it's only a problem for folks with bare legs. If so, that explains why it hasn't been a problem for me. And I always have my seat all the way back.

My mother has cut her finger several times when opening the passenger side door. I think she pinches her finger somehow. I've never done that to myself either. I'm not fond of pain and bleeding.
I usually wear short dresses everywhere and not even I get cut by the rails. They definitely are pretty sharp, though.

Reactions: chumly
1 - 20 of 24 Posts