Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I grew up in aircooled VW's. Been away from that scene for years though.

They other day I was at a certain crazy angled, uphill, stop and merge backroad T. In front of me was a brand new VW "New" Beetle convertible. The second gen squashed style. Very pretty with leather and custom top color ect.

The driver wasn't really paying attention to what was going on and I was getting a little impatient. Then just before he pulled out. He looked over his shoulder and gave me that Sneer. We've all seen it. That look you get from folks that just think you are some kind of sub-human retard for driving a Smart.

I laughed out loud. It then occured to me that my little Smarty was much more of a True VW BUG than his VW bug. His may look the part though I think the latest squashed one doesn't really. But the Smart has a similar mechanical design. Simple flat dash, rear engine, RWD. It has similar design purpose to the original. It's a cheap car most anyone can own. And it retains so much of the can't quantify driving experience of the originals. Though the Smart has filed off the rough edges of the old bug expeirence. It still has that simple let's go have fun feel that we used to get from the Bugs.

I know this is a silly post. Just voicing some of the ramblings that wander through my head when driving my Smart!:)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can pull the engine much faster in a bug.
So true! A story: My GF in High school had a '66 Kharman Ghia. She let a friend drive it who toasted the transmission. 3pm on a Saturday I pulled it into my drive and started on it. I pulled the engine and transmission. Drove about 5 miles away and pulled the trans out of a bug a friend had with no engine. Brought it home and installed it. I replaced the engine and had it all buttoned up and back on the road by 9pm same day! All this while working alone.

I did have a homemade VW engine jack made out of a very short scissors jack with flat plates welded top and bottom for satbility. I had also previously had the engine out of this car so all the rusted bolt issues did not exist.

·
Registered
88 Posts
And if you had 4 younger brothers like I did, you didn't need the floor jack to get it on the jack stands! We actually changed a tire without the jack one time because the ground wasn't level enough for it - just loosen the bolts, 4 of us lifted that corner and the 5th took the wheel off and put the spare on. I still have fond memories of my old 62 beetle - it was the cheapest and least expensive to operate vehicle I ever had.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
My friend's bug hung a valve on the way home at 5. He was supposed to go to Mammoth to ski that evening. We pulled the engine and yanked the head. Drove to a friend who did machine work, who then installed an over size guide and ground the valve. Drove back home, installed head, put engine back in and he was on his way at 7:30.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Ah, Yes, the old VW bettle bug.

My father bought one new in 1968, and something went wrong in early '70s.
So, he pulled it into the garage (actually more of a barn) and covered it up.

When I was 14 (1975) my friends and I "found" it there and started working on it.
Summer project. We got it working and started driving it around the property.

Then we got a little bolder and started driving it on the streets.

Then we took it into town to get ice cream.

That was our BIG mistake. 3 14 year olds in a beetle in a small southern town where everybody knows everybody.

Got nabbed by the sheriff, who went to my church and was in a bible study group with my dad. Spent the rest of the summer doing community service around town.

But, when I got my license at 16, that bug was my first car. Drove it till after high school graduation when it got T-boned by a drunk driver.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Ah yes, the memories! Owned a '63 bug in high school and 2 '68 bugs while in the Navy. The '63 had a rag top sunroof and was a kind of mustard green. It was taken out by a garbage truck shortly before I joined the Navy in '70. The '68's were red and green and I modified the heck out of the red, the wife wouldn't let me touch the green one, she drove that one.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Pretty much true, except the smart has a working heater. :)
Sometimes the heater worked too good. On my old '71 bug one day the heat wasn't coming out of the rear ducts for a while and then it suddenly worked. When I checked it out there was a Tupperware sandwich container on the back floor with a hole melted in both the top and bottom. It worked fine at 70 mph but not at slower speeds. When I drove it it had only 2 speeds, stop, and go fast as possible.:p Chumly

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
12 VW's all types. Ghia, split window bus, bay window bus, squareback, notchback, bunch of bugs and a dune buggy. Lots of memories, many great friends. Auto Haus, Car Craft, Scat, European Parts Warehouse, Rev Power, Moore Racing, Lee Leighton, Reggie Leslie, John Rue, OCIR Bug ins 17 through 31. DB and Hot VW's magazine's RK Smith when he was freelance and eating at Rosa Marias every time he was in town.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I loved my first car, a 1966 Beetle. Pearl white with a red interior. As I recall, the heater worked ok, but the "defroster" left a lot to be desired. Wish I still had it, though, along with almost all the other cars I've owned.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
VW Musings:

My 1st new car was a 66 Beetle 1300. I think it was rated at 50 hp. It was red with a white interior and it had a manual sunroof. I think I paid $1800.00 & probably some change for it. It was an Ok car but not that comfortable. Adjusting the valves every 6k miles was also a pain. I also remember that I had a friend who was traveling in Germany pick up a nice Blaupunct radio that he had shipped to me from the factory.

·
Registered
88 Posts
When I drove it it had only 2 speeds, stop, and go fast as possible.:p Chumly
Wow, my 62 only had those same 2 speeds. You'd think VW would have figured out how to fix that in the intervening 9 years! :D

My heater never worked, no matter how long or how fast I drove the car - and as I recall, it spent more time over 75 mph than the 66 Mustang I replaced it with ever did. I remember driving down the highway with one hand on the wheel and the other using the scraper to get the frost off the inside of the windshield - but at 16, I didn't care.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Pretty much true, except the smart has a working heater. :)
I don't recall if it was in my old '73 bug, or the Yugo, but the heater was basically an electric heating element in the dash that the air went through to get to the floor vents.

Never used it because I was more afraid of a fire. That thing would GLOW when you turned it on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts