Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I deliberately chose my Smart ED to be white :smartje.wt.zw: because I want to attempt to overcome the likelihood that I will be plowed. But I've noticed that a great many Smarts in general are black.

If I had my preference for color I would have chosen a deep blue, but again that's a dark color (and not available that I am aware of).

If your Smart is black :smartje.zw.zw: or dark are you concerned that you're being seen? What are you doing to compensate, if anything?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I deliberately chose my Smart ED to be white :smartje.wt.zw: because I want to attempt to overcome the likelihood that I will be plowed. But I've noticed that a great many Smarts in general are black.

If I had my preference for color I would have chosen a deep blue, but again that's a dark color (and not available that I am aware of).

If your Smart is black :smartje.zw.zw: or dark are you concerned that you're being seen? What are you doing to compensate, if anything?
Our brakes, steering, lights and Horn are our friends, bad drivers don't care about color or size; they just cut in front of you, stop for no reason in front of you or run traffic lights in red. I see one or two reckless drivers every day. Just the other day I saw a guy going about 70MPH in the streets. Where is a cop when you need it?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I see that I should have justified my post.

I have several friends with dark colored vehicles. My friend Dave has had a black corvette for nearly 15 years and has been in 7 car accidents where he was hit by another vehicle. Each person who hit him said that they never saw the corvette until they were crashing into it.

I have another friend Jax whose Black Scion xB (1st Gen) was totaled by a black Suburban. The Suburban driver never even saw the Scion until it was too late.

I realize that it's possible for people to be distracted while driving. There are a host of possible reasons for distraction. But black vehicles absorb light making it even harder to see them over nearly any other color.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Ok, I see that I should have justified my post.

I have several friends with dark colored vehicles. My friend Dave has had a black corvette for nearly 15 years and has been in 7 car accidents where he was hit by another vehicle. Each person who hit him said that they never saw the corvette until they were crashing into it.

I have another friend Jax whose Black Scion xB (1st Gen) was totaled by a black Suburban. The Suburban driver never even saw the Scion until it was too late.

I realize that it's possible for people to be distracted while driving. There are a host of possible reasons for distraction. But black vehicles absorb light making it even harder to see them over nearly any other color.
I see your point, but of course the mutherr ****kker who hits you is going to say for sure that he/she never saw you. Of course they were texting or doing other things except driving responsibly :(

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm green and white - highly visible. I've never really considered colour as a significant factor in accidents. I wonder if there's any stats on that.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'm green and white - highly visible. I've never really considered colour as a significant factor in accidents. I wonder if there's any stats on that.
The car is very visible in front and back. Very well illuminated. As a matter in fact it grabs attention right away more than any other small car. Lots of people see me when I'm passing by; some even make "the way to go man" sign.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Red with silver for the exact reason you mentionied.
All other things being equal, bright colored cars are at least noticed more.

I'd only drive gray if it was a truck or SUV. Blends into the asphalt too easily.

I had a black Mustang, but I'll never drive a black car again, too much of a royal PITA to keep it clean.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
My first smart was white with black tridion and black top, my second was a silver BRABUS with black top and my current is quadruple black (panels, tridion, top, interior). I haven't experienced any increase whatsoever in close calls and I don't do anything to "compensate."

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My first smart was white with black tridion and black top, my second was a silver BRABUS with black top and my current is quadruple black (panels, tridion, top, interior). I haven't experienced any increase whatsoever in close calls and I don't do anything to "compensate."
It's good to know that you're doing well with black, Padawan. The problems that I've seen have all happened in the San Francisco Bay area, so maybe people are better drivers in New Jersey?

·
Registered
88 Posts
My smart is black, I don't do anything to compensate - I don't really think it will help. I've been hit from behind 3 times in my bright red F250 4x4, all 3 while stopped at red lights, and not the first one in line, either. If they can't see a big red truck with the brake lights on, nothing you can do is going to help. Fortunately for me, none of them ever hit hard enough to get past the hitch receiver to anything fragile. The same couldn't be said for them - the Volvo and the Mercedes got holes punched in the bumper, the BMW got that plus a nice gash in the radiator. Somehow I doubt my smart's going to get off so lightly if it ever happens again.
-Bob

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I used to have tomato red on my 2008 and am currently using silver with the black tridion. That red car was easily seen.
The contrast from silver to black as seen from the sides gives me the comfort of being seen from that perspective, providing the other driver keeps his or her eyes on the road.
I deeply resent drivers who venture out in the wee hours of the morning who never bother to put on their lights. I suspect their reasoning is that they can see others without lights, therefore they can be seen too. Color doesn't mean too much then.
Living in FL we have our quota of mature persons driving early just to get to their physicians or an early breakfast and they will not necessarily see the fools driving without lights. This is just my opinion based on observation. I really have some choice words for such idiots, but then I would get into an argument-- because the other driver will be on the defensive.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a completely black out smart, black everything. No worry about invisibility, this is coming from years of experience riding motorcycle, people simply cannot see motorcycle coming when they donot pay attention whats happening on road they blame on motorcyclist. Anyway, it is second nature to me, i assume people do not see me, and i assume all drivers are idiots, i predict all kinds of mistakes they will make, i assume they will cut me off, and i also assume they are out to kill me. It is called survival driving, take steps ahead of what other driver doing, keep safe distance away from other driver, always have buffer zone, have visual horizon safety zone, all around awareness, i got used to it, stay far away from harm

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
When I drove a black Mini convertible with black top I painted large bright yellow racing stripes on the hood and rear similar to what is on my smart. When another driver saw me swarming up behind them on track they darn sure saw me coming and moved over without a fuss. Without the aggressive stripes they would try to hold their ground and I would have to pass in a more aggressive way.
You don't have to have big aggressive stripes (but they work well) because small splashes of bright color make you more visible...wheels, side view mirrors, or other decals. Even splashes of chrome will help as they reflect other things and add movement in the reflections.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
...mine is just the right color....

Jetfuel....match my hair..............................don't go there....

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Jetfuel, I think I have to change my panels from black to silver now. In fact, should have bought a silver one. Sorry, I had to go there, just turned 61 - so it's not a reading comprehension thing like one of my other posts, ha ha (which I corrected).

Back on topic, I think people see my black smart. It has the chrome package, which might help.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts