Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One product that has got a great deal of attention and recognition is a inventive and functional piece of equipment. This is a trailer designed to be towed behind a Smart.

This is a trailer designed to be towed behind a Smart.

There are a few companies that make them but the best ones are made in Europe, these are special edition trailers made for the Smart.

They also have a Smart Car camping companion that you tow behind your smart.

The trailer comes with steel chassis and self-supporting fiberglass construction.
<O:p</O:p

M

·
0 Posts
Any links to the company that produces them, or links to companies that sell them?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've found a place in Europe that makes cool trailers. I have to get my post count up before I can put links up...shortly I'll have them here.

-Brian

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looks like I have enough now. Here's a company that makes something like that, but they are in Germany. I want to buy one of these NOW! Does anybody know of anything like this here in the states?

I could put my race bike and all of my gear in there, plus I could sleep in it once I get to a track.

Maybe I could get one shipped from Germany. :)

http://www.trailer-fuer-smart.de/

-Brian

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
These trailers are perfect for the Smart. The largest tent trailer weighs only 340lbs.
I have posted about these trailers previously, but only one person paid any attention.

http://timeouttrailers.org/default.aspx

Call, ask for Blake ( He's the Pres.), tell him it's for a Smart car.

As an engineer, I can recommend these trailers.

I have a Smart now and I am going to get a cargo and a tent trailer.

If you wish, PM me with a phone # and I'll share knowledge. (I really don't like to type).

Donald LaFavor

·
Registered
423 Posts
there is another site that features numerous solutions at
Tailpullers.org
I just do not know yet if this is a viable option, these are great solutions, if we get rid of the family van.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Little Guy Teardrop Trailers

The Little Guy Worldwide company in Canton, Ohio, makes teardrop trailers (think an Airstream shape), both campers and cargo trailers, and has lightweight models in its line. I know nothing about them aside from the information on their website, http://www.golittleguy.com. Has anyone on the forum owned, rented, or seen one; can anyone speak about their construction or quality?

Prices are relatively high, but my guess is that, as with all trailers, a lot of people use them a lot less than they expected, and sell them on the used market at a substantial discount.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have one, but I know the company is so young that there isn't even a value on used Little Guys...but if you want to find em cheap, check craigslist.

They are pretty ideal (if you want a sleeper unit) though...The Rascal model only weighs 460 lbs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
there is another site that features numerous solutions at
Tailpullers.org
I just do not know yet if this is a viable option, these are great solutions, if we get rid of the family van.
Wow, 66 different companies. But, I didn't find a single one that looked like the German one. I need that one. See my bike over there on the left? I need a trailer that will fit that inside...it weighs 152 pounds.

Wow, I like that LittleGuy...almost perfect, but, no place to put the bike, like the German one. I'll look around on their site more to see if they have another model for sleeping and hauling.

-Brian

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am still looking for one to compare with the German one...I've not found one yet. I bet you guys can get that one a little easier than us. :)

-Brian

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is the Smart really even rated to be able to tow anything? It only weighs 1800 lbs.

I'm trying to find a working trailer solution to tow the smart behind an RV.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That question came up durring the Road show here and the rep said the Smart was rated for a tow capacity of 350#, Not much, but may be enough to tow the mother-in-law (Just kidding)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Is the Smart really even rated to be able to tow anything? It only weighs 1800 lbs.

I'm trying to find a working trailer solution to tow the smart behind an RV.

Best is an Aluminum Trailer.

then you don't put the miles on the smart and you can back up.

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
That question came up durring the Road show here and the rep said the Smart was rated for a tow capacity of 350#, Not much, but may be enough to tow the mother-in-law (Just kidding)
Remember 'Road Show' people are NOT real (experienced) "Smart" employees, they work for a sub contractor. Tomorrow they may be promoting something completely different. I can testify that many will say anything to try to satisfy you.

"The German government's strict TUV certifies the smart fortwo to tow a maximum of 330kg (726 lbs) with a maximum tongue load of 30kg (66 lbs) so long as the total weight (vehicle + passengers + trailer + cargo) does not exceed 1240kg (2728 lbs)."

This is for the 450, I surmise, the 451 to be the same (or, at least very close)

Donald LaFavor

1 - 20 of 49 Posts