Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked everywhere trying to find what format to put video files on a USB drive to watch videos in the Smart fortwo 2015 factory NAV system. Any help would be awesome. I found one place say try "ipod touch" format and that did not work. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
 

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
Joined
·
1,063 Posts
For my Android NAV radio I tried several different formats. I found MP4 worked with my system. So I downloaded a video file converter and changed all my movies to MP4 and about 90% of them work. I haven't figured out why the other 10% doesn't work. I am guessing that it was the original format they were in did not convert properly to MP4. DCO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At the risk of asking an obvious question, what does the manual for the nav radio say? :)
Yeah, I looked through all of my manual and nothing. I found a 2017 manual and it had some information, but doesn't give codec details. I'm hoping someone out here has figured it out with the stock NAV radio. Thanks everyone so far.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome... have you had any luck converting video and getting it to play in the car?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
I used MPEG2 format modified for the Bosch Nav screen. Settings below. I used Adobe Media Encoder. Not sure of any other easy way to encode, i.e., a free converter online.

MPEG2
PAL format
720x405 pixels
Widescreen 16:9

I believe this worked, it's been a while since I encoded anything for my 2013 Smart.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used MPEG2 format modified for the Bosch Nav screen. Settings below. I used Adobe Media Encoder. Not sure of any other easy way to encode, i.e., a free converter online.

MPEG2
PAL format
720x405 pixels
Widescreen 16:9

I believe this worked, it's been a while since I encoded anything for my 2013 Smart.
I will try this, I would think that since its American, it should be NTSC I wonder. Thank you for this answer. I will report back if I get to try it out soon.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
I suspect Bosch produced only one version of this radio and that's why it's PAL. I could be wrong but I think it was a low-production model and they didn't bother with creating an NTSC version. I hope the above settings work for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I suspect Bosch produced only one version of this radio and that's why it's PAL. I could be wrong but I think it was a low-production model and they didn't bother with creating an NTSC version. I hope the above settings work for you.
I might be missing something here, but PAL and NTSC are only applied when using DVD or TV Format, and now video files that you would play off a flash drive and such? Sorry and thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
The differences are technical but enough to cause problems when you want to play an NTSC file on a PAL player. I *think* this is why I had to encode as such, but I could be wrong. All I know is, when I encoded for PAL and MPEG it worked like a charm.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top