Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

We kicked the button down from a stop. I might try again with the pedal to the floor then kick down button as we get rolling. Also this was indicated 60 vs actual 60, but it proves that we are much faster than the 11.5s published time even with over 400lbs of passengers + doggie cargo.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I've timed my 0-100 at just around 9 seconds.

Car and Driver reported the heavier Cabrio model was 9.8 seconds 0-60.
2014 Chevrolet Spark EV vs. 2013 Fiat 500E, 2014 Ford Focus Electric, 2013 Honda Fit EV, 2013 Nissan Leaf SL, 2013 Smart Fortwo ED Cabriolet Comparison Tests - Page 8 - Car and Driver

The 0-30 time quoted was 3.1 seconds, which is 2nd place in the comparison of short range EV's (Smart ED, Leaf, Focus EV, Fiat 500e, Spark EV and Fit EV).

My normal thing to show off the car to my friends is to hammer the throttle while already moving at 20km/h and watch their faces light up. :D

·
17,350 Posts
Interesting test!!! It still confuses me why smart doesn't quote the Kickdown as the 0-60 time. The ED is a fast little bugger!

If anyone cares (cause I know this is the EV forum):

Once, I timed the ICE for 0-60 (this was back over two years ago when my car was stock), pausing the timer at each shift (and verifying with video editing). Lowest time I got was 8.5 seconds, highest was 11.1 seconds.

Though, I never cared to publish my findings as the transmission's going to shift whether we like it or not. I was just curious to see how fast it would be if there were no lapses in acceleration. :) But yep, the transmission shifting definitely adds some time. :eek:

·
17,350 Posts
One of you ED owners should turn off ESP and do a full on kickdown takeoff. I wonder if the ED can spin its tyres! :D

I can spin mine...but only because the rear rubbers are pretty much done. Stupid Kumhos...

·
Registered
832 Posts
One of you ED owners should turn off ESP and do a full on kickdown takeoff. I wonder if the ED can spin its tyres! :D
Not on a dry road. The motor current is limited below 20mph to save the ESP the trouble. Since the ESP doesn't do anything anyway, disabling it won't help, either.

Haven't tried it with bald tires, yet...

·
17,350 Posts
Not on a dry road. The motor current is limited below 20mph to save the ESP the trouble. Since the ESP doesn't do anything anyway, disabling it won't help, either.

Haven't tried it with bald tires, yet...
Turning off ESP also turns off Traction Control. Epic fun for snowy/slippery weather. :wink:

Interesting. So, even if you hit kickdown, you're not going to get 100% max power from a dead stop? I'm learning something new about the ED every day. :nerd:

·
17,350 Posts
Geez, welcome to the Neon hate train.

I wasn't even the only commenter in that line of posts.

Out of those six comments, only two are mine and mine weren't even the first.

Not saying I'm innocent; sorry, won't post there ever again I guess.

Though, being singled out, twice? Harsh. :(

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Not saying I'm innocent; sorry, won't post there ever again I guess.
Dang, you're more than welcome to post there so long as it's relevant. No, yours weren't the only OT posts, but you kinda got the ball rolling. And, it's not the first time in that thread.

I'm clearly not a Mod, or I'd have the ability to just quietly remove OT posts. Wish I could do that. unicycle relinquished his creation due to this type of frustration.

It is a clearly defined, structured thread. It is what it is, and a discussion thread it isn't.

AT this point, I offer my apology for this post in this thread.

·
17,350 Posts
Dang, you're more than welcome to post there so long as it's relevant. No, yours weren't the only OT posts, but you kinda got the ball rolling. And, it's not the first time in that thread.

I'm clearly not a Mod, or I'd have the ability to just quietly remove OT posts. Wish I could do that. unicycle relinquished his creation due to this type of frustration.

It is a clearly defined, structured thread. It is what it is, and a discussion thread it isn't.

AT this point, I offer my apology for this post in this thread.
That's doubly true. I apologize!

It appears I may have a very bad short term memory lately. Yikes! :eek:
I also don't see how I completely forgot an entire thread about instant torque.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts