Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, tomorrow is the day. I'm getting my muffler replaced (it's got a leak at the base of the flex joint) at the local Volkswagen dealer. I bought the muffler myself and am letting them put it on. I have done extensive research on this and I know, I know I should probably do it myself, but they do have a lift that fits the smart and they want $110 to do it. I hope they will let me watch. They did let me see while it was up on the lift where the leak was. I just hope they don't screw up removing the sensors, stuff like that. Course they will have to correct that, but I just want a clean in and out with an new muffler. If they do, I'll buy the whole crew pizza for lunch.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, all ended great. Got a used 50k muffler on ebay ($125) and took it to the Flow Volkswagen place here in Burlington NC. They replaced mine which had a leak from a cracked flex joint (see Pic) and it now sounds like an EV! Charged me $110. So 235.00 total.
Now I have a muffler with a detached flex joint. I've often heard Jet Provost say that a muffler shop might be able to replace the flex part. If so I'll have a spare muffler to keep or sell. Is that true? Can it be done.? Below is the flex joint. It was only cracked about a half an inch on one side. Obviously completely detached now.

·
17,350 Posts
I saw "Virgin" and clicked...I am disappoint... :D

FYI - There aren't any sensors to disconnect for changing the muffler. Just peel off the rear valence, twist a couple bolts, and viola! :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I was thinking of the cat converter which I think the exhaust is connected to (physical mount not "of course it is you idiot".) I think I read that you have to be careful during removal because of that. Maybe. Or maybe all those drugs in the '70's.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will a 1 3/4" by 8" flex pipe replace the stock on on the muffler. If so I can repair the old one. Nothing wrong with it but that.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya Virgin. I've never had my flex pipe replaced before. I asked them how much and they said "$5, same as in town" If you get that inference you are almost as old as me. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the same issue as OP. Muffler broke in the same spot. I bought a new one from the dealer and installed it at home. During installation I noticed that the exhaust manifold doesn't line up right and I needed to kind of twist it to get it together. That mesh pipe seemed to be under some torsion stress and will break again in the future I'm sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts