Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I renewed my registration on my smartED today, and was surprised to learn that I had to pay two taxes on it simply because it was an electric vehicle. Per the Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles page:

Drivers of highway electric vehicles and alternative fuel vehicles registered in Virginia must pay an annual license tax of $64 per vehicle. On top of that, Virginia imposes an additional $50 annual license tax for EVs.

So $114 of the $138.75 registration fee I paid was a "penalty" for owning and driving an electric car.

Politicians! They'll get you any way they can!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
The extra tax is to help maintain roads since you aren’t paying that tax through gas purchase. I know it doesn’t seem fair but you still drive on the roads. Other states are doing the same and more will follow.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Washington state imposes a $150 annual EV fee for road maintenance as well. We got an exemption from paying the first year when we bought new, but the bill for renewing our tabs this second year was over $440, which includes $228 going to light rail infrastructure.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I don't understand this logic. When you owned a gas vehicle, every fill up you paid into a road tax assessed on every gallon of fuel you bought. You don't buy fuel anymore and federal law (as I understand it) prevents states from assessing a similar tax to your electric charging. So the only method is a registration fee. I pay a $130 fee in NC, it's equal to about 10,000 miles of gas tax in a 30mpg car at the current tax rate. I put more than 13,000 per year on the car, so it's cheaper than the gas model.

We use roads. We use them in a car that's about 500lb heavier than the comparable gas model. That means we wear the road a little bit more. It's only fair we pay into the maintenance. Would you rather a flat tax or a mileage based one? Privacy aside, do you want to get bills from each state you drive in...? Currently, when I take the ED (or my Zero) across state lines, I'm cheating that state from taxes. Hell, I'm cheating NC out of road taxes under their own system!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts
California has been toying with a similar tax too. Talk about illogical. CA gives a $2500 tax credit toward the purchase of a new EV, now they want to tax you more for buying it. If you think the gas tax is solely used to pay for roads, then you're a sucker.

·
Registered
195 Posts
California has been toying with a similar tax too. Talk about illogical. CA gives a $2500 tax credit toward the purchase of a new EV, now they want to tax you more for buying it. If you think the gas tax is solely used to pay for roads, then you're a sucker.
Once again, if it's your primary car the tax is cheaper than if you bought gas for a comparable car over the average 12k/yr driving cycle. I don't understand the opposition to this. I probably never will.

Transmitted via a Moto Z Play Droid and Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,762 Posts
Drivers of highway electric vehicles and alternative fuel vehicles registered in Virginia must pay an annual license tax of $64 per vehicle. On top of that, Virginia imposes an additional $50 annual license tax for EVs.
Here in NC we have no state incentives and the EV fee has increased from $100 to $130 this year. Although not in agreement with the state's revenue scheme, I look at it as my "cost" of NOT having to navigate "the pumps" and gas spills at the local gas dispensing Taj Mahal. :shrug:

Perhaps Cali should look at the Georgia EV Business Model? Nissan touted the greater Atlanta area as one of the top regions for sales of its Leaf EV. But when the $5,000 state credit was ended as of July 1, 2015, (and they imposed an EV fee of $200) sales of battery-electric and plug-in hybrid cars in Georgia dropped by 90% of the June 2015 level.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The extra tax is to help maintain roads since you aren’t paying that tax through gas purchase. I know it doesn’t seem fair but you still drive on the roads. Other states are doing the same and more will follow.
I would submit that you haven't seen the roads around my neck of the woods. Oddly enough, the ones that get repaired seem to get an annual treatment while others are turning into obstacle courses and suspension destroyers.

Indeed. Gas taxes keep going up but the quality and quantity of road upkeep does not. California may be the worst example of government overreach and inefficiency, but it is nowhere near being unique in that respect.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The EV fee has been $130 since 2016, it went up at the same 30% as all the other DMV fees: https://www.google.com/amp/amp.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article52292855.html

We were not singled out...
Here in NC we have no state incentives and the EV fee has increased from $100 to $130 this year. Although not in agreement with the state's revenue scheme, I look at it as my "cost" of NOT having to navigate "the pumps" and gas spills at the local gas dispensing Taj Mahal. :shrug:

Perhaps Cali should look at the Georgia EV Business Model? Nissan touted the greater Atlanta area as one of the top regions for sales of its Leaf EV. But when the $5,000 state credit was ended as of July 1, 2015, (and they imposed an EV fee of $200) sales of battery-electric and plug-in hybrid cars in Georgia dropped by 90% of the June 2015 level.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,762 Posts
FUZZY MATH by NC - “The state is hoping to raise millions for their highway fund. If you raised the gas tax by one cent per gallon, the state would raise an extra $7.5 million. Contrast that with the total revenue raised from EV registration fees in 2014: $440,000. Even if the state is registering three times as many EVs today, it’s still millions short of the goal.”

Declining road tax revenues as ICE vehicle mileage improves so let's go make it up by taxing those "early adopters" who now drive EV's! A vehicle population that is truly the pimple on the ICE elephants butt!

https://www.desmogblog.com/2017/07/03/one-three-states-now-charge-extra-fees-electric-vehicles

·
Registered
195 Posts
FUZZY MTH by NC - “The state is hoping to raise millions for their highway fund. If you raised the gas tax by one cent per gallon, the state would raise an extra $7.5 million. Contrast that with the total revenue raised from EV registration fees in 2014: $440,000. Even if the state is registering three times as many EVs today, it’s still millions short of the goal.”

Declining road tax revenues as ICE vehicle mileage improves so let's go make it up by taxing those "early adopters" who now drive EV's! A vehicle population that is truly the pimple on the ICE elephants butt!

https://www.desmogblog.com/2017/07/03/one-three-states-now-charge-extra-fees-electric-vehicles
We are close to 9,000 EVs registered in NC (subject to the EV tax) today, so that's increased to ~$1.1M. Given the rate of adoption - largely driven by off lease cars brought in from CA - I expect EVs will account for 7.5M in tax revenue by 2030 without any state assistance to foster their adoption.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Can you provide some actual evidence that state (or federal) fuel taxes are being diverted to uses other than surface transportation?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Can you provide some actual evidence that state (or federal) fuel taxes are being diverted to uses other than surface transportation?
In CA, more gas tax money gets used to combat climate change than to fix roads. A recent article from the San Diego Tribune says that billions in gas taxes have gone missing.
If they all went to roads, then why is California's taxes tremendously higher than other states? Our roads are just magically more expensive than other states?

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/energy-green/sd-fi-california-gasoline-20180402-story.html

·
Registered
145 Posts
Oh, and one more thing...check your electric bill. I guarantee you're paying taxes on the electricity that you're putting into your car. So they are actually taxing you twice for having an EV.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't understand this logic. When you owned a gas vehicle, every fill up you paid into a road tax assessed on every gallon of fuel you bought. You don't buy fuel anymore and federal law (as I understand it) prevents states from assessing a similar tax to your electric charging. So the only method is a registration fee. I pay a $130 fee in NC, it's equal to about 10,000 miles of gas tax in a 30mpg car at the current tax rate. I put more than 13,000 per year on the car, so it's cheaper than the gas model.

We use roads. We use them in a car that's about 500lb heavier than the comparable gas model. That means we wear the road a little bit more. It's only fair we pay into the maintenance. Would you rather a flat tax or a mileage based one? Privacy aside, do you want to get bills from each state you drive in...? Currently, when I take the ED (or my Zero) across state lines, I'm cheating that state from taxes. Hell, I'm cheating NC out of road taxes under their own system!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
I understand that EV's are not paying a gas tax that supports the road system, but the whole premise of a gas tax to support the road system is just stupid. If you want a tax that supports the roads you need to pay by usage. In NC every vehicle is required to pass inspection every year. In that inspection they record mileage. If you want to be fair tax by miles driven and weigh of vehicle. A 2200lb smart car that drives 10000 miles per year should be charged less than a 7600lb Ford F350 that drives the same distance. Then again who ever said anything the government does makes sense.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Except they can't tell what are NC miles on the car. I've taken the smart and my zero out of state multiple times. Why should I pay NC a fee for using SC roads?
I understand that EV's are not paying a gas tax that supports the road system, but the whole premise of a gas tax to support the road system is just stupid. If you want a tax that supports the roads you need to pay by usage. In NC every vehicle is required to pass inspection every year. In that inspection they record mileage. If you want to be fair tax by miles driven and weigh of vehicle. A 2200lb smart car that drives 10000 miles per year should be charged less than a 7600lb Ford F350 that drives the same distance. Then again who ever said anything the government does makes sense.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Today you pay the tax wherever you buy the gas, regardless of where you live. I know lots of people that cross the border to buy gas because it is less in the next state. SC gas tax is about half of NC now over $.22 per gallon. When people will drive across the street for $.01 per gallon they will definitely cross a state line for $.22.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Current NC motor fuel tax is 35.1¢ through the end of the year. Source: NCDOR
Today you pay the tax wherever you buy the gas, regardless of where you live. I know lots of people that cross the border to buy gas because it is less in the next state. SC gas tax is about half of NC now over $.22 per gallon. When people will drive across the street for $.01 per gallon they will definitely cross a state line for $.22.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is that not what my annual general tax bill is for?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts