Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife & I visited Tysinger's Motors today. Although the smart guru wasn't there we were treated like a valued member of their family. When we show up for service we go to the Mercedes service entrance, which is in the building behind the showroom building, very clean all around. They have 10 smarts on the premises and are expecting 12 more before October. The ones they have are from the Va Bch dealership. They have white, blue, black and matte green on han d. On first look I think we should do well there. They have a hill that they display some cars on and guess what was on top, a green smart. Maybe it's an omen.
BTW: The cashier said since they took over the smart brand they have had more people visit than usual, a good thing?

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
That should be very cool. Perhaps there is hope for the Smart now that the big boys namely Mercedes Benz took over distributorship. After all, they were the co-founders of the original Smart to begin with.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to the people at Tysinger's, we should see dealerships at Tyson's Corner, Hampton, Charlottesville and later Richmond. Seems like a better geographic distribution than before. They said there should be 75 dealerships nationwide.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Made a second trip to Tysinger's today, I set up an appointment to have my '08 rebadged, seems like they are very busy of late. Their smart guru has some family problems so he is out of the building until Monday. Here it is two visits and I still haven't met him.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Made a second trip to Tysinger's today, I set up an appointment to have my '08 rebadged, seems like they are very busy of late. Their smart guru has some family problems so he is out of the building until Monday. Here it is two visits and I still haven't met him.
art, i managed to meet him on a visit. he seems very eager to help and learn, as they said they are 'still on a learning curve' with the smarts. just talking about the car, it seems i knew more info than he did? but he may not have had enough hands on experience with them yet. if that makes sense? either way, he was very interested in my opinion of the car, the actual gas mileage that can be expected (and not just the epa estimates), the reception by the general public of the car, etc. he seemed to genuinely want to KNOW about me and my particular car, to get to know each and every owner personally so that they matter, and aren't just numbers for stat reports and paychecks, you know?

i have an appointment tomorrow to get my 3rd brake lamp assembly replaced, as they noted some condensation in it last time and the warranty covers the replacement. they said it'd be easier to replace than to just open it, clear it out, and reseal. i'll let you know how it goes =)

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ohh I'm so bad, 3 times to tysingers and still haven't spent any money. I am rebadged though. I'm still sporting my Euro Motors badge, guess they haven't figured how to remove it. The other smart has it's turn tomorrow.

·
Registered
104 Posts
yes I to made a trip out to have a chat with service, seemed very please to help us get some service issues fixed but than again $$ is going up to be sure from the other smart owner in the lounge.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tysinger is at least better than Checkered Flag.
Checkered Flag wasn't open on Saturdays and I've felt more welcome at Tysinger's. I've had inspections and brake work done there and no complaints. I've even gone to their movie night and can't wait for a repeat of that.:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Praises for Tysinger's! Lately my TPMS has been going off, like 3 times in 24 hours. I stopped off at the maintenance center and asked Brett if there was a chance someone could check my tire pressure as they put nitrogen in my tires a couple of months ago. Brett is the gold team service writer for any that haven't been to Tysinger's. Not only did he check the pressure himself, he took my smart and drove it to the nitrogen charging station. Turns out both rear tires were 5 psi low and the fronts were 2 psi low so I don't think there's a leak. Best part, no cost.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They've always done right by me. I got a fuel pump replaced there for $5.05 with rental car, but that's a long story.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Last time I went they wanted to change a front marker light in the headlight housing by removing the housing and splitting the housing open to change the bulb. I told them how to remove the bulb and saved myself about $100.00.

Sometimes they will help you..... to your wallet :/

I find that they will try and sometimes give you a square deal and at others try and just remove and replace the more expensive components at a higher cost when a cheaper way to fix the problem exist so just be aware...

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Last time I went they wanted to change a front marker light in the headlight housing by removing the housing and splitting the housing open to change the bulb. I told them how to remove the bulb and saved myself about $100.00.

Sometimes they will help you..... to your wallet :/

I find that they will try and sometimes give you a square deal and at others try and just remove and replace the more expensive components at a higher cost when a cheaper way to fix the problem exist so just be aware...

Good job being smart. :)

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Used their online appointment scheduling site early this week to set up an appointment for my wife's 40k service and inspection, even got an email confirmation. She went in today and they couldn't find any mention of her appointment. Tysinger's couldn't squeeze her in, totally booked. See if I use online appointments again! Shame on you Tysinger's smartcenter.

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,032 Posts
Tysingers Oil Change...

Really nice people at Tysingers....

Really nice service...

But whatever motor oil they put in my Smart made it run like a diesel truck, with a blown turbocharger...

Slow to accelerate, loud engine noise, transmission would not shift into fifth until 45, transmission hunting between 4 and 5 at 45-50...

After a week I gave up and replaced it with Castrol Edge, gold bottle...
It's 5W-30, but still meets MB specs...

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Yikes, did you save any of the oil they put in? If so you should send it in for analysis. Also, when does your transmission normally shift?

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,032 Posts
shifts at 36-37

With regular oil it shifts at 36-37 into 5th.

With Edge it shifts at 34...

Put the oil in my Mom's Nurses Saturn,

Ran great there, stopped the oil burning (Saturn's are notorious for this)
and turned black with crud it cleaned out of the engine.
Must have had a lot of detergents, betting it was diesel oil...

Unfortunately I did not save any...

At 130 hours (I use an hour meter instead of mileage), around 5,000 miles, Edge oil is just beginning to darken...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts