Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally took a trip up to West Covina this afternoon to check the place out. Having spoken to Lena on the phone a couple of times, it was nice to meet her in person. I didn't actually take a formal count, but they had approximately a dozen cars out in the back. No orphans at this time. I believe they have over 100 people on their orphan list now. I didn't check to see where I am now on the list, but I presume I'm probably still stuck at 70 something. I still think I will end up with the car I actually ordered before an orphan becomes available that would work for me. There were no yellow or red cars on the lot. I have configured white on black with a red interior. That configuration was not on the lot, however, there was a white on black with a tan interior. So at least I got to see what the outside of my car will look like in person... :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was there yesterday too. They had quite a few white ones in the back. No Red. I wanted a red one and will have to wait till August 08.

·
Registered
834 Posts
If I really wanted a car and one cane in with all the accessories i wanted but the panels were the "wrong" color, I think I would spend the 900 to 1100 and buy a second set of panels. Then sell the others .

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
If you have a decent amount of cash on hand I'm sure you can always work out a deal!

But generally, no you cannot go into a dealership and buy one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh okay, I figured that... Jefferlos, you mentioned, a decent amount of cash.. as in, paying over MSRP I'm guessing? Everyone paying sticker price still for cars these days?

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
Oh okay, I figured that... Jefferlos, you mentioned, a decent amount of cash.. as in, paying over MSRP I'm guessing? Everyone paying sticker price still for cars these days?
At dealerships with any integrity and, with 12,000 plus of us on the forum watching them; we are all hoping this practice doesn't exist. Get on the Orphan List and buy your over sticker priced car with all the dealer add-ons that way. Ethically, and you will be giving an Orphan a good home.

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
That has been the majority of reports on this forum, that dealers are adding lo-jack, paint protection, tire and wheel packages, 3M nose protection film and anything else they can think of to turn more profit on these little cars. Be aware, be wise and be informed before you buy. if the add-ons work to your advantage, as they did for me; go for it!! It is not always true that a Orphan goes for over sticker, but it is relatively common.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Do not pay more!

My dealership is ethical and did NOT charge 1 penny more than sticker, did NO add ons, and never tried to sell me on anything I didn't ask to have. :smartje.zw.zw:

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
My dealership is ethical and did NOT charge 1 penny more than sticker, did NO add ons, and never tried to sell me on anything I didn't ask to have. :smartje.zw.zw:
Did you buy an Orphan? I haven't heard of any dealer doing add-ons to a reserved vehicle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts