Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm considering buying a used smart ED and am thinking that some of my charging will be at Volta stations. Does anyone have any experience using these? How long does charging take?

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,910 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm considering buying a used smart ED and am thinking that some of my charging will be at Volta stations. How long does charging take?
Welcome to SCoA. Hav

Model Year - 451 vs 453, apples to oranges.

Dealer, corner lot or legitimate (MB?) Franchise?

Any warning messages on the dash?

Require as much history to include CarFax as is available.

His source of purchase, auction?

Require TWO functional key fobs or take a $4-500 discount as replacements don’t come cheap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't say a model year anywhere. I'll need to find that out. It's from 2015. Legitimate dealership. Thanks for the tip on the fobs.

I haven't seen the dash in person yet but there are no warning messages online. I'm waiting for the salesman to send me the CarFax report. Here's the window sticker: Window Sticker for 2015 Smart Fortwo 2dr Cpe Passion

It says "Lithium Ion Traction Battery w/3.3 kW Onboard Charger 12 Hrs Charge Time @ 110/120V and 8 Hrs Charge Time @ 220/240V" I've read 4 hours charge time elsewhere, so I find this a bit confusing. I don't see how these charge times would be practical for anyone. Volta stations have a 2 hour limit. Their web site says, "Standard Level 2 Volta station charging speeds vary by location from 20 or 40 amps. For Volta DC fast charging stations, charging speeds are rated between 50 kW to 100 kW." So how much charge can I get in 2 hours?

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,910 Posts
The Recuperation Paddle option ($190) can be rare and for some are highly desirable.

I added them to my MY15 ED “factory” order.

·
Registered
258 Posts
ED3 don't have DCFC (dc fast charging plug). My 2016(early) charge door sticker says"110v/240v" but the original charger (it has the VIN# on it!) only specifies 120v/12A/1440w. I have never tried to charge away from home. I would hope if I plugged in a 240vac charge plug someday either the car would accept it or gracefully decline.

"How much charge can I get in 2 hours?" Hopefully enough to get you to the next charge station.

Window Sticker is nice, thanks! But EDs are not called 'Passion' which seems to be reserved for the gassers. Passion/Pure are ICEs, right??

"Recuperation Paddles" can only reduce regen in what is already an anemically regenning car so what is the point of the product?
--

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,112 Posts
It doesn't say a model year anywhere. I'll need to find that out. It's from 2015. Legitimate dealership. Thanks for the tip on the fobs.

I haven't seen the dash in person yet but there are no warning messages online. I'm waiting for the salesman to send me the CarFax report. Here's the window sticker: Window Sticker for 2015 Smart Fortwo 2dr Cpe Passion

It says "Lithium Ion Traction Battery w/3.3 kW Onboard Charger 12 Hrs Charge Time @ 110/120V and 8 Hrs Charge Time @ 220/240V" I've read 4 hours charge time elsewhere, so I find this a bit confusing. I don't see how these charge times would be practical for anyone. Volta stations have a 2 hour limit. Their web site says, "Standard Level 2 Volta station charging speeds vary by location from 20 or 40 amps. For Volta DC fast charging stations, charging speeds are rated between 50 kW to 100 kW." So how much charge can I get in 2 hours?
Hello! I may be able to shed some light on your question as an EV owner. I don't own a smart EV (used to own a gas smart), but I've owned similar vehicles like the 2015 Nissan LEAF which had a similar charging setup using L1/L2 (120/240V) AC charging with no DC fast charging.

The key bit in the quoted text is "3.3kW onboard charger". The car can never draw more power than 3.3kW or 3,300 Watts of power for charging. Watts are Volts x Amps. So, to break it down:

- A Level 1 or 120V outlet can only supply 12 Amps max (15A * 80% requirement for continuous load), so Level 1 charging maxes out at 1,440 Watts which the car can fully handle. Every hour of charging at this level would add 1.44kWh to the battery which has a usable capacity of 16.7kWh usable. There are some other variables, but for a fully depleted battery would take 16.7/1.44 number of hours to fully charge, or nearly 12 hours. In 2 hours time at this level, you would add about 16% of capacity with about 10% charge losses.

- A Level 2 or 240V outlet can supply more power than the car can use at anything over 14 Amps which is easily available from Volta. So, for every hour the car would add 3.3kWh. So, that's 16.7/3.3 number of hours or about 5 hours. Again, there are some other variables that can extend that time (temperature, charge curve, etc.), but generally the battery isn't fully depleted either nor do you want it to be fully depleted. In 2 hours at this charge level, you'd add about 36% of capacity with 10% charging losses.

Ideally, you want to be able to charge at home overnight when charging times are less relevant. You can wake up with a full "tank" every morning.

But, be realistic with the range of the car and how often/where you can charge. If you have access to another car or other transportation, then you might need to use that occasionally. With my 84 mile range LEAF, I certainly needed to to do that at times. If you use the car as intended, a local runabout using a portion of the range every day, then you'll be fine. I had my LEAF for 5 years and it was also fine. I just didn't expect to use it for more than 60ish miles a day and knew it would need to charge overnight if I did run it low.

DC Fast Charging is needed for any type of rapid recharging capability, so cars without that capability are at a disadvantage for any type of longer travel. You can see the different between the smart's 3.3kW AC charging capability and the DC Fast Charging from Volta offering 50 to 100kW. You're talking 16-33 times more power and even that's low compared with a Tesla 250kW Supercharger.

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
321 Posts
"But EDs are not called 'Passion' which seems to be reserved for the gassers. Passion/Pure are ICEs, right??"
Umm, no, my ED has a passion badge on it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
But you have a 453.

Anyway they list gassers in the salvage auctions as 'Passion/Pure' so that is a convenient way for me to sort them all out.
I don't search for 453s as it is essentially an entirely different car.
If you ever find out what is *Passion*ate about your car, do let us know.
--

·
Registered
1,241 Posts

2 hours of level 2 (240 volt) charging will charge the Smart ED about 30 percent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts