Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are lots of threads on this subject
This is to inform all about some important information that we all have to do when we sell or turn in our leased ED cars, and get another ED.

This is my second Rodeo with a Smart ED.
I enjoyed the first three years
Got my VVC code for the smart Ap when i picked up my car in 2012
When my lease was up, I gave it back with out thinking twice.
Year and a half later, I find myself coming back and purchasing another Smart ED.
But I want the AP to work.
I look at my saved website from my previous ED and its still there.
I can see my 2013 Smart ED, and i get notifications when its charged on my home PC. WTF?
I read several articles, and try to obtain a new VVC code for my 2016.
Contact several dealers including the one that my car is having its service completed with.
Having zero luck, as Smart ED's and VVC codes are not a top priority when you contact a dealer that did not sell you the Vehicle.
But I got lucky and called West Covina Smart. Riverside Mercedes is where my car was born at, but they do not sell Smarts any more and would not help. Nor would San Francisco Smart as they said the same thing as riverside Mercedes told me, You have to contact the selling dealer for this code.
Back to West Covina, talk to the receptionist.
I get transferred to the Smart Guy.
He tells me this song and dance about how hard it is to get a VVC code once the car comes back to the dealer. Its a crap shoot. they type in the VIN and it either spits out a code or says its not available. He tells me how he has gotten so many people pissed off at him for not being able to get the code for them. Including the terrible yelp review. He is almost at the point of not looking up codes anymore, and told me upfront that he could not guarantee. I was just so happy to talk to another Smart guy that I could care less about the code at this point, and was blown away after giving him my VIN number and a VVC code was generated. I guess the first owner never activated it so its was there for the taking. But somehow this guy seemed familiar. i asked if he was on the Forum and bam, he was. What a small world
This Forum rocks in so many ways.
He said it was the same way to activate the new code, just delete the old address and history and start fresh.
But it was not that easy, and thats why Im writing this thread

For some reason i could not see all the info from the Smart Ap on my computer. I saw the blocked Icon from my Ad Blocker and clicked on it to allow data to come over with out being blocked

this allowed another area to be visualized. but only when the Ap is at full size on your monitor.

Remove vehicle. I did this. and after several minutes it allowed me to add the new vehicle VIN number and new VVC code.
Just before this was complete it issued me a new VVC code for the next future owner.

This is the part thats important, and is causing so many others to not be able to get VVC codes.

The code is locked to our VIN numbers.

When you sell or give back your car, you need to remove the vehicle from your ap and get the new VVC code for the next owner.

If you do not do this its locked and the dealer can not give you a new number. The ap still thinks you have the car and wont issue another one.

We need to somehow put the new code in the car, maybe on a sticky in the glove box or another area for future owners

If the owner never activated than the Dealer can generate a new number

So when your done with your car, remove car from the AP and write down the new VVC code for the next owner to enjoy.

Its on us.

And don't get mad if you cant get a new number on your used car, This is why. And thank all that help you, you never know it could be a forum member.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

When you do this the next guy gets the code
Again its locked to your VIN

The end result is you get the functionality

My code says its good through 2020

Thanks Kamaal and thanks to this Forum, hope this helps others and explains some other VVC code pitfalls

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On another note

I have the new VVC code for my old Smart ED that I did not include when I turned in my Smart ED

I dont know how to get this to the new owner

maybe we should have another thread dedicated to codes that did not get passed on.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
729 Posts
The Dealer is just being lazy if they can't/won't get you a new VVC. Mine had let their logins to the VVC tool expire so they had to contact HQ in Germany but got me the info the very next day. If your local Mercedes-Benz/SMART dealer can't figure it out point them to their own instructions for the VIP-Tool: http://mercedes-benz-dealer.custhel...name/Vehicle+Homepage+process+for+dealers.pdf

That is how I had to explain it to my salesman. I had my iPad with me and googled smart vvc code and it took me to an instruction site for dealership. Handed him my iPad and said “this is what I need before I leave with the car.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
The Dealer is just being lazy if they can't/won't get you a new VVC. Mine had let their logins to the VVC tool expire so they had to contact HQ in Germany but got me the info the very next day. If your local Mercedes-Benz/SMART dealer can't figure it out point them to their own instructions for the VIP-Tool: http://mercedes-benz-dealer.custhel...name/Vehicle+Homepage+process+for+dealers.pdf
Very few employees have the credentials and/or access to obtain and generate a new VVC Code. Some vehicles have expired VVC Codes (36 months from original date of purchase), and many vehicles are no longer compatible with the VVC system. I have only heard rumors about the system being cancelled in the near future, nothing confirmed internally.

The smart 453's are mostly miss with the VVC system, although I have been able to generate a code for some vehicles. Most folks have informed me that it doesn't work with their new models, even with a freshly generated code.

But, I have seen some changes. The talk button on the right side of the 453 steering wheel has been a dead button for well over a year. It appears to function in the smart 453 EV's now.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Very few employees have the credentials and/or access to obtain and generate a new VVC Code. Some vehicles have expired VVC Codes (36 months from original date of purchase), and many vehicles are no longer compatible with the VVC system. I have only heard rumors about the system being cancelled in the near future, nothing confirmed internally.

The smart 453's are mostly miss with the VVC system, although I have been able to generate a code for some vehicles. Most folks have informed me that it doesn't work with their new models, even with a freshly generated code.

But, I have seen some changes. The talk button on the right side of the 453 steering wheel has been a dead button for well over a year. It appears to function in the smart 453 EV's now.

The talk button (mostly) doesn't function in my 453 ED. Oddly enough it will prompt my Google Assistant on my phone to open up, however it's not of much use because the audio will not route through Bluetooth (even with the appropriate settings for that changed).

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
The talk button (mostly) doesn't function in my 453 ED. Oddly enough it will prompt my Google Assistant on my phone to open up, however it's not of much use because the audio will not route through Bluetooth (even with the appropriate settings for that changed).
Yeah... not missing much. You would notice a difference if you had the touchscreen navigation, and even then the system has difficulty interpreting your commands. It offers a short opportunity to repeat very specific commands, and the microphone is biased in favor of the drivers' seat.

What is cool is that it should answer and hang up phone calls, unlike the gas versions.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Well. Not sure if anyone else got this when logging in, but didn’t get this yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have AT&T and also got that message yesterday, it still works but I dont know for how long

Will look into T-Moblie I have wanted to change anyways as I have multiple issues at home and driving to work with call drops

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have AT&T and also got that message yesterday, it still works but I dont know for how long

Will look into T-Moblie I have wanted to change anyways as I have multiple issues at home and driving to work with call drops

Don’t think it’s a phone carrier thing because I get the same message on a non-sim iPad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts