Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Auto Blog has an article that indicates that VW will make available to third parties the BEM platform. I think this could lead to companies like Local Motors that could build bodies for this platform. I think it has potential. I think it could lead to some personalized / custom bodied cars.

I remember reading - in the past - that there were companies that built a car platform and another the body (coach
builders? -I think there was one in Amesbury MA). I read it lead to some great cars.

:nerd:

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,180 Posts
One issue with that is "back in the day" there were no crash standards, no emission standards, or any safety regulations to satisfy. Now days, small builders can get some exemptions as limited production kit car builders, but I do not expect large volume dealers to get involved.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Personally to me the main issue with this is the fact that it will be a toy, not a commuter, yet it will probably cost about 30k. For that money you can buy many other things.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If one bought the platform and built ones own body on top if it, would it be considered a 'kit car'? There are plans for cars at R Q Riley. Perhaps a company could create plans of bodies for this platform? (just thinking out loud).

Would buying a completed body that one attaches to the platform still make it a 'kit car'?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts