Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
161 Posts
Oh very nice interior ! ... Are you also running 17" Wheels all around ? what tires do you have they look kinda beefy.
Yup, 17's all around with 205/40 tires. These Federal tires use a bead protector, so they're a bit wider overall than the Sumitomo's I've run in the past. The front tires would rub the strut, so I added spacers all around and now the wheels are flush with the body. Very stable on the road!

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow 205/40 can fit !

When I purchased my Smart it ran 215/35 Yohama S Drives.. those tires side wall and profile was really great ! Unfortunately they are discontinued

Then I ran the same size tires on Hankook Ventus V12.. the side wall was kinda stretching and I damaged my wheels on the road.

Now I'm running 225/35 17 Accelera... I might just do 15mm Spacers in the rear

Attachments

· 10Year+ Supporting Member
2009 Brabus Coupe
4,186 Posts
Do you have wheel spacers on the front and if so, what size? I have 20mm on my front and 30mm on rear. My tires are Hankook 215/35-17. I did not need wheel spacers for clearance, but to achieve a more flush fender to tire fitment.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry, I need to correct myself. 215/40 all around. But you can see where the front tires have rubbed the fenders until they cleared.
View attachment 72208
View attachment 72207
WOW 🤤 hella meaty 👏🤌
Yeah Federal tires are pretty aggressive profile. I love your tire set up. Thanks for sharing insight. I might have to consider 17" up front. But currently I am enjoying the 15" set up. The turning radius is very good as it clears for some aggressive highway entrance turning. I would like eventually to upgrade my front stabilizer because I notice the traction indicator go off. I have Hankook V12 in the front with Stop Tech Slotted Rotors.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

· Premium Member
1,599 Posts
No Brabus here but I am a true Accelera fan.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

I have 205/45 16 Accelera PHI-R on 16x6 wheels up front and 215/45 16 Accelera PHI-R on 16x7.5 wheels I the rear. I found the Accelera PHI-R tires so quiet on road noise. The 215/45 16 is not wide enough for the 7.5 inch rear wheel. Yes Yokohama S Drive's are surely missed by me . Had the right look not as quiet as the Accelera PHI-R's and for the power and weight of the Smart car I fide the Accelera to hold the track just as well. I have had them both on the Watkins Glen track.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey my friend thanks for sharing tires specs. I'm glad you are enjoying the Accelera PHI-R tires. I agree these are great for the road, I have no complaints. Yes the S Drives we're very good I hope Yokohama considers something similar soon but these Phi R will suffice. I would like another wheel setup like the Genius Darwin wheels. They have a deep dish concave option that will help with better tire options. Nice ! Glen Walkins track hope you do some nice numbers on the track

· Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Some wheel specs this company offers...
Original Poster SmartASF keep that oil fresh. 3 thousand miles per change for me. And coat your Suspension with some type of silicone spray Lube anything with special care to keep the inside top of your front shock it was a bearing that should move freely. get that spray on your steering knuckle also.

Here is my car when I had the 17 inch Darwins on it.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Initially 195/40 17 S-drives all around in photo with 195/40 17 S-drives front and 205/40 17 Hankook Ventus 2's in the rear. I sold that set as it was just very rugged on NYC potholes and construction plates. I know now if were to go back to these wheels I would run 17's in the rear but 15'sup front. A 4 inch side wall up front has been the best for comfort on crappy roads with out giving to much in handling.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes ! A staggered set it
Original Poster SmartASF keep that oil fresh. 3 thousand miles per change for me. And coat your Suspension with some type of silicone spray Lube anything with special care to keep the inside top of your front shock it was a bearing that should move freely. get that spray on your steering knuckle also.

Here is my car when I had the 17 inch Darwins on it.

View attachment 72222

Initially 195/40 17 S-drives all around in photo with 195/40 17 S-drives front and 205/40 17 Hankook Ventus 2's in the rear. I sold that set as it was just very rugged on NYC potholes and construction plates. I know now if were to go back to these wheels I would run 17's in the rear but 15'sup front. A 4 inch side wall up front has been the best for comfort on crappy roads with out giving to much in handling.
Yes ! A staggered set up is great. I'm currently benefiting from the fact that my 14 Brabus comes with OEM Bilstein Suspension. I might want to invest in adjustable suspension from either Bilstein or KW to help with future Wheel Set Up. As for now I'm looking for some H&R 15mm spacers for the rear. That Black on Black very nice I'm getting hyped up for future ideas

1 - 20 of 29 Posts